• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain in remission

pain in remission

Anyone in remission have a sharp pain under their belly button / abdomen when pressed or are you completely painfree?? not sure if i'm just tender cos thats normal or if somethings up. My insides feel 'tight' recently but I feel well otherwise.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm in remission and I'm generally pain-free, unless I eat the wrong thing. I had salad the other week and afterwards I was in awful pain in my LRQ. I didn't try pressing on it but I would guess that wouldn't have felt nice! I put my heating pad on it and ate low-residue for a few days and then felt better. Have you eaten anything you shouldn't have lately? Under more stress than usual, anything like that? Stuff like that usually accounts for any symptoms I have in remission. I hope this is just a fluke or something you ate and that you can remain in remission for a long time to come!

Thanks for replying I don't recall eating anything different although I have been much more sensitive to spicy food recently I've been really busy at work which always puts the stress up a bit and I've had 2 bouts of upper abdominal pain with nausea recently but this pain is similar to the pain I had when I was Ill 2 yrs ago but I feel well this time. I was just curious to see if anyone else suffers 'pain' when pushing in on the tummy even though they're in remission. Who knows my stomach just feels super sensitive at the mo but I'm going to see consultant tomo night so no doubt he'll shed some light. I maybe have eAten too much sugar recentl though over Easter. Thanks for replying

I feel well too, but get occasional pain. Like Cat, it can depend on what I eat or if I get overtired. Last colonoscopy they said I had a small stricture. I guess after inflammation and healing, things won't ever be back to exactly what they were.
But if it persists, Archie, it might be best to get it checked out :)

Cheers grumbletum I'm going tonight to get it checked as it doesnt feel right but it might just need time to settle down again. I've had a resection so there is no damaged bowel left so I'm kindof hoping it's not a stricture. I've had a bit more constipation and cramps recently. How bad is your stricture and what symptoms does it cause, ru on any meds? I imagine he'll prob suggest the lovely scopes to have a look the other possibility is I thought it might be gall bladder pain or the duodenitis flared again who knows I'm just guessing

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Is the pain located where your resection site is (not the outer scar but the intestines)? You do have scaring from your resection (its healed, its a scar) so it could be pain from there especially if you're having inflammation on top of it. That's what I'm currently dealing with, my resection site being slightly more narrowed and it does cause pain no matter what I eat. Anything passing through that area can cause pain or discomfort. I'd suggest blood work (at least but even a scope may show more narrowing of your resection site) to see if there is any active inflammation and that may require a course of meds. People often have issues in the same area where they had their resection and going med free completely may allow for a shorter remission but I hope not. Keep us posted! :)

Cheers grumbletum I'm going tonight to get it checked as it doesnt feel right but it might just need time to settle down again. I've had a resection so there is no damaged bowel left so I'm kindof hoping it's not a stricture. I've had a bit more constipation and cramps recently. How bad is your stricture and what symptoms does it cause, ru on any meds? I imagine he'll prob suggest the lovely scopes to have a look the other possibility is I thought it might be gall bladder pain or the duodenitis flared again who knows I'm just guessing
Just a small stricture, up around the ileocaecal valve, and it doesn't give me much bother - especially if I behave myself diet wise! Occasional cramping, gurgling then a bit of the old D are the only symptoms I get.

Hopefully the consultant can shed some light on your recent symptoms. Hopefully not too many tests!
Let us know how you get on.

well the consultant was pleased that i looked so well and had a good feel and it all felt fine he thinks its just a flare of the duodenitis and to keep taking the meds. I've to have another small bowel series to check for strictures and he'll see me again after so all in all a good outcome thank you everyone for your kind support :)

well i had the small bowel series and all good and I don't have really any pain now except if I eat the wrong thing so long live remission :))