• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain meds bad for ibd?

maria

I love you God.
Is it just me this happens to when your at an appointment they say don't take tylenol,ibuprofin,asperin, because this is bad for your stomach and causes ulcers and for ones that's already bleeding makes it worse. Then at the end of the appointment you say okay now what about the pain? What are you gonna give me to cope?? Dr says uhhmmm just try tylenol or ibuprofin. Uhmmmmmmm didn't you jst say it bad for me??? :ybatty:

maria

I love you God.
Yeah I thought that but I always think its funny when drs tell me not to take it at the beginning of the appointment then at the end tell me its ok to go ahead and take it.

Agree completely. I know they don't like prescribing narcotics, & they carry risks & potential complications. I get that. But as a Crohn's patient, as well as an ostomate, there are days I REALLY wouldn't mind the "constipation" caused by Vicodin or Percocet, & they'd help my pain much more.

I once asked my GI if he would write me a scrip for pain meds or something for pain on my bad days (I had a peri-stomal hernia that was killing me; eventually surgically corrected) because "I've been using Advil, but I know I'm not supposed to take Advil or Motrin". He actually asked me who told me that! "Ummm....you did." lmao

Tylenol i s the one that is ok. It is the others that can cause bleeding.
I buprofen definately is a no no. If pain gets too bad, ask for Oxycodone. Hope this helps!

maria

I love you God.
Well with my issues tylenol is like popping nasty candy. It doesn't do anything but hurt my stomach more and I totally agree with them using the excuse as narcotics cause constipation. Uhmmm I have a jpouch that might actually do me some good?????? I just want to question there education sometimes.. only saying this because I'm living through hell day in day out. And knowing that there's pills that can help take the edge off and give me a break from the hell makes me feel so low. I just want to say hello I poop burning stinging water every 2 hours! Heeelp mee! Then I always question why I even went to the dr

maria

I love you God.
Agree completely. I know they don't like prescribing narcotics, & they carry risks & potential complications. I get that. But as a Crohn's patient, as well as an ostomate, there are days I REALLY wouldn't mind the "constipation" caused by Vicodin or Percocet, & they'd help my pain much more.

I once asked my GI if he would write me a scrip for pain meds or something for pain on my bad days (I had a peri-stomal hernia that was killing me; eventually surgically corrected) because "I've been using Advil, but I know I'm not supposed to take Advil or Motrin". He actually asked me who told me that! "Ummm....you did." lmao
Lol!! See exactly that... they always tell me to do or not do then like couple months later they question their advise.