• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain when cleaning myself (sorry TMI)

Hi

I didn't know where to put this so sorry if it's the wrong place.

I've been having chronic diarrhea for a while now together with various other things - never constipation/normal bm's.

Anyway I went to the bathroom tonight and cleaned myself up as usual and had the most intense pain down below. It was like my bottom was SO sensitive and I've not had this before. I always get pain when going to the toilet, but never when wiping myself. Maybe it's just a result of the constant diarrhea.

Anyway just wondered if people had the same/what to do about it as it's a new thing for me and scared me a bit.

Thanks
Heather

Hi Heather

Never TMI on here - we are all in the same boat. :)

Was it your bottom generally or in a specific area - could it be something like an abscess?

Using TP - should I use wet wipes? It's not hemorroids I don't think. I'm not sure about an abscess and don't know what a fissure is to be honest.

All I know it was intense pain at the opening - not like when I go to the bathroom and have diarrhea - that's pain throughout my lower abdomen which is more like a huge pressure/burning pain that brings me out in a cold sweat.

Good to know it's not TMI. It's not something I can really talk about to people as they don't get it and I'm in New Zealand on my own so don't have people close enough to talk to about things like this!

H :)

I bet its a fissure..I heard they can be very painful. You should look it up maybe there are things to do to help it to heal..such as taking baths or some ointment.

I agree...there is no such thing as TMI here...

Are you seeing any blood when you wipe? I can think of two possibilities:

1) if its a general pain not localized to a central spot, your skin may just be getting irritated from the coarse toilet paper you are no don't using a ton of. Sometimes when this happens with me, I will see small bloody spots on the paper from literally having wiped myself raw. In this case try buying some of the higher end paper at the super market. The stuff infused with aloe is my favorite.

2) if its a localized area pain around the anus, and you see a large amount of blood, it could be a polyp at the anal openinh that had become irritated frim your constant going yo the bathroom. I find using a little A&D ointment on the paper a godsend for this. Also sitting in a hot bath works wonders as well. As far as the A&D goes, its pretty nice for treatment on #1 as well.

I suggest you talk to your GI about this. Mine didn't find the popular until he turned the scope around backwards during my last scoping.

I just thought of one more possibility as well... It could be a fistule on your bottom. If this is the case you would likely see some mucus or other type of discharge in your underwear between toilet visits. Again A&D ointment works for temporary relief, but you will want to see your doc about this as well.

i had the same thing happen 2 years ago, in my case it was a abscess that had formed really close to the anus .. extremely painfull when cleaning and while doing a poo.

doctors put me on antibiotics but a few days later it burst outwards ( making a hell of a mess as was in bed at the time).

check around your anus for a lump under the skin - if so then you have your answer - either way a visit to the doctors is in order.

in the mean time, have you got a hand held shower - it may sound gross but after using the toilet use the shower to clean followed by DABBING not rubbing to dry yourself.

Thanks guys I'll read up. We don't have baths here (tank water) and I'll investigate further and talk to the GP when I see her on the 7th. Weird as I've not had anything like this before so was at a bit of a loss knowing how to deal with it.

I'm a bit embarrassed to tell her really as no doubt that will entail examination. I guess I have to put embarrassment to the back of the queue of things that need sorting out as they're not going away of their own accord!

H :)

Heather, would you be able to use a sitz bath? (Click on it for the Forum Wiki entry.) They are just big enough to fit your bottom in (sitting down, of course :)). You can use epsom salts and warm water and they are very good for abscesses, fissures or just pain.

Some of the others might have other suggestions as to what else you could use in the bath water.

DO see the doctor because as you see it could be something that needs medical intervention. The sitz bath (its rests in your toilet when the seat up so its easy to use) is a great idea even if you are just dealing with the Frequent D. I started my journey with Crohn's disease with "kissing fissures" which are managed but not gone. I see a colorectal surgeon for this and he has been able to prescribe some numbing ointment that helps when they get painful. It's also just helpful to have wipes for good clean up. I use Preparation H Wipes after every BM, other people use baby wipes. Hope some of this helps. I rarely post but your "pain while wiping" has inspired me to speak up. Lol. Good luck!

My son has frequent diarrhea and he does get very irritated sometimes. He uses those medicated wipes which he says helps.

When I am visiting the loo often I find that if I squat in the shower and let the shower clean me instead it helps a great deal. In fact I don't get sore at all now. When I come out of the shower I also put a towel over the toilet seat and sit on it for 5-10 mins to dry myself, so no irritation from drying either. Hope that helps someone :)

With my most recent flare I had six weeks of persistent diarrhea which resulted in a fissure and then abscess and small fistula. I ahve never had so much pain. I could not wipe myself almost at all...I would have to get into the shower or the bathtub to clean myself, and then sit in a site Beth. I would cry siting on the toilet, and stopped eating in the hopes that I should stop pooping. I lost nearly 10 pounds Ina bout two or three weeks.

I saw a colo-rectal surgeon who suspected a fissure and fistula but couldn't be sure until she did and exam under anesthesia. The procedure was painless. Although recovery was not as easy as I would have hoped. Please do call your doctor and get some help. I was very embarrassed, but just pretended that I was okay. I was in soooooo much pain!

I hope you get help soon!
-Lisa