• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain when I eat.

I went into my gi office for a regular visit a few days ago. I told him about the pain I was having above my belly button ( had the same pain when i went into er at time of diagnosis of crohns). Its like a horrible cramp that makes me want to throw up but I don't. I didn't notice at the time of the visit but its related to eating. My gi asked me if i was cramping from eating but i couldn't tell at the time because i had been snacking off and on all day for weeks. But in the last few days i haven't ate all day and when i do i get pain. How can i avoid this. Maybe a liquid diet? Anyone else do this with ensure or elemental diet? I don't even want to eat because its so painful but I know that would be bad.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'd call the GI and let them know that you have the pain after eating. Knowing what's causing the pain and treating that would be best in my opinion. Doing a "special diet" may just prolong the inevitable so its best to get it taken care of sooner rather than later.

Im already on all types of medication for my crohns. I don't know what else they could do besides change my diet.

When i first got diagnosed i was on asacol and prednisone now im just on entocort/asacol and have started taking azathoriprine(can't spell sorry). He also perscribed me acid reflux medication even though im not having symptoms and i used to have it but don't suffer with it now.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
If you wanted to try a sort of fasting you could but keep in contact with your GI and let them know that you're doing it. I know anything that helps with the pain is more than welcome so in the meantime while your GI figures out a better treatment plan or orders tests etc. you could try a drinking Ensure etc. I know some people on the forum have tried this to relieve symptoms but its not something you can do for a long period of time. I'm not gonna throw out a number of how long to try it for but I would suggest asking your GI and or GP how long is safe to do it and what the intake is.

I was on a liquid diet for over a month before my diagnosis but I was also in the hospital and had an IV the whole time. I was allowed Jell-o, tea, broth (veggie, chicken and beef) and juice. The Jell-o will at least give you a food type texture and the broth will give you a different flavor other than sweet stuff all the time. You could also try to puree your food or try baby food (I did the baby food in the past before) instead to see if that helps some.

I can't stress it enough to contact your GI though and at least let them know and see what they have to say.