• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Paleo Autoimmune Protocol

nogutsnoglory

I have been paleo for 4 months and was doing very well until I incorporated some nuts and seeds. Now I am flaring pretty badly.

I am trying a version of the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol and will not eat nuts & seeds. I have already eliminated nightshades, potatoes and other offenders as per the diet itself.

Has anyone tried the AI protocol with success? I can't eliminate eggs right now because to have no nuts/seeds and no eggs at the same time I will have nothing to eat. It's hard enough as it is and I am losing weight.

Gianni

I can't eliminate eggs right now because to have no nuts/seeds and no eggs at the same time I will have nothing to eat.
May I ask what you eat on a typical day?

It is important to follow the diet by including the beneficial parts like the vegetables and organic meats. It sounds like you are simply banking on results by eliminating the foods that bother you but not necessarily eating the foods that will benefit you. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gianni

You definately shouldn't eliminate eggs, it's pretty much the best breakfast food for IBS conditions. I'd check out the SCD Diet. It's a more complex Paleo diet related to IBS diseases. Works amazingly well for me. Google "Elaine Gottschall" and "SCD Diet A-Z". I'd highly recommend buying the book as well. If you get nutrition from almond flour instead of nuts it'll be much easier to digest during imflammation, but chances could be the nuts and seed you were eating have starche. Mixed nuts have starche added for example. Glad to hear you aren't eating potatoes they're absolutely horribly for folks with IBS conditions. Gotta agree with Gianni as well if you're just doing diet by elimination it can be risky. Theres plenty of research done for us at hand check out the stuff I mentioned, if the diet is followed to a T you won't have any symptoms. I've been symptom free ever since I started it 7 months ago. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. God bless.

Since I've gone through the SCD and GAPS successfully, the diet I follow is essentially Paleo AI protocol. It works really well for me. If I were flaring though, I would immediately go back to the SCD/GAPS intro for 2-3 days. Have you ever tried the intro diet?

yes, i went there, all added back in after a 30 day elimination.

Did you add in a whole bunch of different nuts and seeds?
Were they pure, roasted, salted ?
Next time try them one at a time (not one seed at a time :), but one variety at a time),
Also worth trying them as flour (almond flour is easy to find) or as a paste - this way you know if it is the nuts or the sharp hard chunks (which would indicate that you still have a good degree of ulceration/inflammation).
If the reaction was soon after nuts i'd say probably the sharp hard bits but you would be in a better position to judge.

Your whole diet would be fun to look at though.......
Just being paleo doesn't mean it's balanced and often things slip through (you mean tim-tams aren't paleo?)

Nothing to eat?
There is alot to eat on the paleo
A lot of Meat and Veg :rof:

This link explains the reasoning behind eggs
http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/whys-behind-autoimmune-protocol-eggs.html

I definitely agree with KatyBuckeye, you may benefit by going back to an appropriate point in the GAPS intro diet

Last edited: