• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Paleo Bread and pancake batter

This is one of the better bread recipes I have found. It is also the absolute best pancake recipe I have tried (and I have tried a dozen.) I have no idea what possessed me to try to make this into pancakes but I did and it was great!

Bread (Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Gaps)

The pureed cashews and unflavored gelatin help add structure to this bread. I store the bread wrapped in a large piece of parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature or for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Inspired by Elana’s Pantry
Makes one 7 1/2 x 4 1/2″ loaf

For the dough:
1/2 cup cashews (soak in 1/3 cup water)
1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon honey (I used clover)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Directions:
Place cashews and 1/3 cup water in a small bowl and let soak for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to middle position. Butter a 7 1/2 x 4 1/2″ glass loaf pan. Pour cashews and water mixture into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides a few times to ensure all cashews are pureed. Add almond flour, coconut flour, gelatin, salt, baking soda, eggs, butter, honey and cider vinegar to the cashew mixture. Process until smooth. Pour batter into buttered loaf pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the outer edges of the bread and then invert bread onto a cooling rack and remove from loaf pan. Serve.

This looks great. I'm going to try it when I go back on SCD. I find it interesting your use of gelatin and the mixed flours. I've never seen that so am pretty excited. I'm underwhelmed by all the other nut flour non-sweet breads I've tried (loved them at first). Thanks for posting this!