• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Paleo bread or tortilla type food

Julian brand bread and tortillas can be bought at whole foods and I believe trader joes. I've never tried it, but heard its is ok. You'll find it in refridgerated foods.
I make most of my own bread, which is great. Never had much luck making my own tortillas, despite trying a couple different recipes.

my little penguin

Staff member
Does paleo allow starch??
Ds uses all of their stuff and loves it
Against the grain gourmet pita bread which is very flexible and grain free
Just buckwheat and tapioca starch but it does have milk and yeast
Not dough enhancers xantham gum or fillers etc..

Bends better than most gf products
http://againstthegraingourmet.com/gluten-free-breads

Whole foods did have a coconut flour based tortilla but it tastes like coconut and was very fragile

David

Co-Founder
Julian brand bread and tortillas can be bought at whole foods and I believe trader joes. I've never tried it, but heard its is ok. You'll find it in refridgerated foods.
I make most of my own bread, which is great. Never had much luck making my own tortillas, despite trying a couple different recipes.
A loaf was almost $14.00 at Whole Foods here. Hahah. I don't need bread THAT much :D

A loaf was almost $14.00 at Whole Foods here. Hahah. I don't need bread THAT much :D
Hmmm, maybe that explains why I've never tried it. I usually make my own. I'll make a couple double batches on a weekend and then freeze them for use over the next month or two. Sounds like a lot of work, but once you've done it once or twice, it is really pretty quick and easy. And at way less than $14/loaf, that is crazy.

I do not recommend the Julian Bakery Paleo Bread. I bought a loaf and wanted to immediately spit it out because it tastes like cardboard. The closest thing to Primal/Paleo that I found that I could stomach was Against the Grain pizza and their breads. However, if you don't do dairy, it contains mozzarella cheese. It is really good, though. :)

my little penguin

Staff member
Against the grain gourmet makes dairy free cinnamon raisin bagels
It has coconut milk though

Ds loves the baguette /bagels /rolls and pizza crust /pita( used like a burrito shell)
Avoiding milk for now but hopefully soon he can have those again

Against the grain gourmet makes dairy free cinnamon raisin bagels
It has coconut milk though

Ds loves the baguette /bagels /rolls and pizza crust /pita( used like a burrito shell)
Avoiding milk for now but hopefully soon he can have those again
I have been wanting to try the cinnamon raisin bagels as I love the sesame version, but none of the stores carry it around here and, unfortunately, you can't order it online.

I'm avoiding dairy, too, as much as possible as I'm trying to convince my GI doctor that my symptoms are not IBS or lactose intolerance. I just bought some cheese alternatives yesterday - Tofutti cream cheese and Daiya Cheddar Style Block. Haven't tried either yet, but I'm hoping the Daiya works well on my favorite Amy's Black Bean Chili (melts well). :)

my little penguin

Staff member
If you have a health food store close by most will order stuff for you if you ask

Ds avoids a lot I have found baked potato in place of cheese work well with a veggie gf pizza

If you have a health food store close by most will order stuff for you if you ask

Ds avoids a lot I have found baked potato in place of cheese work well with a veggie gf pizza
I asked one of the ones closest to me but they want me to go through a whole ordering process IN PERSON so they can figure out how to order through the manufacturer. They are only open Mon-Sat from 9a-6p and I work Mon-Fri from 8:30am-5p. I am often not available on Saturdays, so I haven't been to that particular store. The other two are saying that they don't have room right now, but will keep it in mind for the future. :(