• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Paleo versus SCD

nogutsnoglory

Paleo seems more restrictive than SCD since it eliminates all dairy and grains.

I was wondering what SCD prohibits that paleo allows? I'd like to try to eliminate these from my paleo diet so I'm also SCD legal.

off the top of my head i can only think of starchy vegetables - turnips, sweet potatoes.
(paleo generally recommends balancing carb intake with energy output, - good for endurance athletes but not necessary for office workers, - something like that anyway)

It really depends on who you take advise from.
Some are "no starch",
some are "starch is ok but not potatoes",
some are "starch is ok"
but "in moderation, depends on body type, metabolic issues like diabetes and exercise load"

paleohacks is a great site for a broad range of paleo advice, and you can post questions there, this one is covered here... http://paleohacks.com/questions/1023/are-tubers-paleo#axzz229DYnNai

From a crohn's/SCD view it would be best to eliminate them and reintroduce so you can see for yourself.

more to read
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/eat-your-starches-why-safe-starches-are-healthy/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/paleo-potatoes/#axzz229DeB5kP

I've been on both and found SCD to be far more restrictive (but very successful). SCD restricts the vast majority of canned/jarred/frozen foods due to the additives. Not even a taste of them is allowed. The food itself may be okay but the additives are illegal. You even have to only buy certain brands of meat due to the additives. Bacon is limited to sugar free or only once a week if not. No ham unless you want to pay a fortune for some mail order stuff. Sausage has to be homemade due to additives. If you eat honey it has to be additive free. Etc., etc.

IMO SCD requires a lot more work since ninety-nine percent of what you put in your mouth has to be made from scratch.

There are no grains allowed on SCD. I'm confused about your comment.

Dairy is limited to homemade yogurt, certain cheeses, and butter so I suppose that part is less limited. :)

I think the most important thing is finding out what works for your body best. What might work for others might not work for you. It's better to start with a diet like the SCD diet as a base diet eliminating all of the bacteria breeding foods and once symptom free, slowly try to add things like oats or sweet potatoes or dairy or rice and just see what happens. Don't ever try more than one thing at once. It takes about 12 hours for me to have consequences after ingesting something my body doesn't like. It takes me a week to be symptom free again after going back to the intro diet. Process of elimination ;)
Scd diet allows aged cheeses and 24 hour fermented yogurt, no gluten/grains/sugar/lactose

Hope this helps!

Paleo (and SCD to a lesser degree) is all about eating food instead of 'food-like' products
I agree, however, the essential definition of SCD is "no polysaccarides." In that respect, SCD is significantly more restrictive than paleo even if all you're eating is chicken and veggies, for instance, and requires significantly more work in the kitchen. I was on SCD for 10 months and there was a total of one brand of chicken I could eat and that included locally processed stuff. On paleo I can have any brand, grocery store or grass fed or local.

My above point is if you're eating polys then you aren't on SCD, period. You're eating a paleo type of diet but not SCD.

I used to spend a lot of time at Mark's Daily Apple looking for recipes when I was on SCD. I had to change the majority of them to make them SCD legal and by change I mean being forced to make some ingredient from scratch like chili powder due to there being no SCD-legal version. At least with paleo if I wanted to make chili I could use premixed chili powder on occasion. It doesn't sound like a big deal unless you take into account almost everything was illegal on SCD and had to be made from scratch.

I'm really not down on SCD as it made me symptom free. It was just too much work compared to paleo. I'm in awe of those that can stick to it. :ybiggrin:

You simply grind up dried red chills and ancho chilis and add a few spices for chili powder :) there are also lots of legal chili powders in places where I live like New Mexico, Texas as well. The best way to find the most natural is local.
Being on the SCD diet I think it is very individual in what you can and can't eat. All though canned tomatoes and garlic powder are considered illegal, I Just find the most natural one without any illegals in it and try it while symptom free. I haven't noticed any problems with them.

For example
Hunts canned crushed and diced tomatoes are all natural
New Mexico chili powder
Trader joes Garlic Powder.
All of these I have found I handle just fine =D

Partlycloudy
Check out my recipe blog! I cook SCD dinners every night and post them only if my non scd husband approves them as yummy =)

Snoflayk, I'll check it out, thanks. :D I still use a lot of SCD recipes, especially if I'm doing paleo. I don't know if you ever visited the Yahoo BTVC group but, there's a recipe for homemade SCD Ranch dressing that is out. of. this. world. Totally worth making no matter what anyone is eating.

Anyway, don't want to veer too far off topic. :)

SCD restricts the vast majority of canned/jarred/frozen foods due to the additives. Not even a taste of them is allowed. The food itself may be okay but the additives are illegal. You even have to only buy certain brands of meat due to the additives. Bacon is limited to sugar free or only once a week if not. No ham unless you want to pay a fortune for some mail order stuff. Sausage has to be homemade due to additives. If you eat honey it has to be additive free. Etc., etc.

IMO SCD requires a lot more work since ninety-nine percent of what you put in your mouth has to be made from scratch.
If it's got additives it's probably not paleo either,

nogutsnoglory

Does the SCD diet permit taking a probiotic or only the home made yogurt? Is the yogurt only for the bacteria benefit? Why not skip that and take a probiotic?

Does the SCD diet permit taking a probiotic or only the home made yogurt? Is the yogurt only for the bacteria benefit? Why not skip that and take a probiotic?
Yes, probiotics are allowed on the SCD diet, but it has to be specific types that are SCD legal. For those who can tolerate it, the SCD yogurt is recommended over probiotics because it is a natural, fermented product that contains more beneficial baceteria than any probiotic supplement ever could. Also, the milk protein encapsules the bacteria, which allow the bacteria to travel further in the GI tract than the probiotic supplements. If you can't tolerate the yogurt, try other fermented foods like sauerkraut. It is relatively easy to make your own, home-made sauerkraut that is SCD legal. If you don't want to make it yourself, there is an SCD legal brand called Bubbies that you can find in Whole Foods or other natural stores. A company that sells SCD legal probiotics is GIProHealth.

SCD Legal Probiotic
Lactobacillus Acidophilus (L. acidophilus)

I am on the SCD diet and have read that depending on the diet you are on, certain probiotics should be avoided. For Example: VSL#3 is said to cause flares for people on the SCD diet.

Single-strain acidophilus probiotic containing 3 billion CFUs per capsule

Kirkman’s Lactobacillus Acidophilus (L. acidophilus) features only that one probiotic strain and is free of disaccharides. This species is recognized as one of the primary friendly lactic acid bacteria residing in a healthy gastrointestinal tract. Research over the past decade has shown that L. acidophilus provides a number of important health benefits including:

• adheres to the GI mucosa and colonizes the intestinal tract
• supports the body's natural defenses (immunity)
• helps control diarrhea or constipation
• helps alleviate occasional diarrhea or constipation
Source http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkma...ypoallergenic/

More GREAT Info on Lactobacillus probiotic
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...tural/790.html