• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Paleolithic Ketogenic diet crohn's remission N=1

Lady Organic

Staff member
I have found this as an exemple of dietary plan for a day:

http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/09-24/what-does-a-ketogenic-paleo-diet-look-like/

I have watched a documentary about this diet helping with severe cases of epilepsy in children. Kids had to always have a helmet to protect themselves from falling during the multiples crisis of epilepsy they had during the day. With the diet, they had resolution of symptoms. That was amazing:)

Its highly interesting in the short term but what about the long term on the overall body?

I question this kind of diet for long term use. I fear it could predispose people to other pathologies like colon cancer for instance, barely eating protective foods such as fruits and veggies. I personally would not use it long term unless my life was in danger. I have a really hard time accepting that fried bacon could be a healthy food to eat everyday.

maybe it could be used to put in remission a crisis but a maintenance diet could be adapted with more veggies...

As Old Mike said, N=1
Mileage may vary, and who knows what parts of the diet were responsible for the improvements, It may not have anything to do with ketosis, might just be due to avoiding certain foods....
More study is needed
One very basic fact is that cutting carbs and fibre will lead to a decrease of microbial activity, which is generally a good thing if there is too much (of the wrong sort of) activity.
Once it is under control then foods can be reintroduced gradually...

maybe it could be used to put in remission a crisis but a maintenance diet could be adapted with more veggies...
I think it is a great way to calm things down.
It is possible to be on a ketogenic diet that includes more carbs[1]....That might work for neurological problems but might defeat the purpose for digestive issues.
Fibre can easily be added without (greatly) increasing the number of (digestable) carbs

Paul Jaminet (Perfect Health Diet) and Dr Terry Wahls (The Wahls Protocol) discuss ketogenic diets in depth in this podcast...
Ketogenic Diets with Dr. Terry Wahls and Dr. Paul Jaminet
"Both Terry & Paul emphasize that all types of ketogenic diets require focus to avoid nutrient deficiencies, and supplementation may be required."
http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2015/06/06/episode-20-ketogenic-diets-with-terry-wahls-and-paul-jaminet/

[1] "-1) Make Wilder’s “ketogenic ratio” high by eating a lot of fat, very few carbs, and not too much protein.
-2) Supplement with the ketogenic amino acids lysine and leucine.
-3) Supplement with coconut oil or another source of short-chain fats.
If we do (2) or (3), then the diet can be ketogenic even if it has a fair number of carbs."

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/02/ketogenic-diets-i-ways-to-make-a-diet-ketogenic/

Its highly interesting in the short term but what about the long term on the overall body?

I question this kind of diet for long term use. I fear it could predispose people to other pathologies like colon cancer for instance, barely eating protective foods such as fruits and veggies.

Low carb vegetables and low carb fermented foods are allowed (and endorsed) in the ketogenic diet.

Not about IBD conditions, but a common problem for us, saw this Paleo type idea helping some with GERD. It was written in a news paper article about avoiding milk dairy products and seeing acid reflux GERD symptoms going away.

The article can be seen here:

Got Milk? You Don’t Need It

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/got-milk-you-dont-need-it/

excerpt:

...When I was growing up, drinking milk at every meal, I had a chronic upset stomach. (Channeling my inner Woody Allen, I’ll note that I was therefore treated as a neurotic, which, in fairness, I was anyway.) In adolescence, this became chronic heartburn, trendily known as GERD or acid reflux, and that led to a lifelong Tums habit (favorite flavor: wintergreen) and an adult dependence on Prevacid, a proton-pump inhibitor. Which, my gastroenterologist assured me, is benign. (Wrong.)

Fortunately my long-term general practitioner, Sidney M. Baker, author of “Detoxification and Healing,” insisted that I make every attempt to break the Prevacid addiction. Thus followed a seven-year period of trials of various “cures,” including licorice pills, lemon juice, antibiotics, famotidine (Pepcid) and almost anything else that might give my poor, sore esophagus some relief. At some point, Dr. Baker suggested that despite my omnivorous diet I consider a “vacation” from various foods.

So, three months ago, I decided to give up dairy products as a test. Twenty-four hours later, my heartburn was gone. Never, it seems, to return. In fact, I can devour linguine puttanesca (with anchovies) and go to bed an hour later; fellow heartburn sufferers will be impressed. Perhaps equally impressive is that I mentioned this to a friend who had the same problem, tried the same approach, and had the same results. Presto! No dairy, no heartburn! (A third had no success. Hey, it’s not a controlled double-blind experiment, but there is no downside to trying it.)

Conditions like mine are barely on the radar. Although treating heartburn is a business worth more than $10 billion a year, the solution may be as simple as laying off dairy. (Which, need I point out, is free.)...