• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pales diet

I have had Crohn's for 5 years now I'm only 20 yrs old and have struggled to find treatments that work and avoiding prescriptions. Recently I ended up in er due to extreme pain I spent 3 days in hospital getting fed morphine for the pain! I decided it was time for some extreme changes, I was informed by my nurse about pales diet so I gave it a shot. I've been using t for two weeks now and the pain has gradually subsided and I've been feeling better tan I ever have!! Being a devoted firefighter I didn't want to give up on my career because of this disease and with correct diet (no grains, no dairy, no extra sugar, and no alcohol) amd daily exercise I have finally found hope and can finally live life to the fullest!! Paleo saved my life!!!

Hello there and a big warm welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your story. It's great to hear that the Paleo diet has done the trick for you. Do you take any medication at all?
Wish you all the best with your life and your job. I have nothing but admiration for you firefighters and the work that you do - respect! xx

Congratulations on the success you are having with the paleo diet! I hope it continues

I've eaten paleo off and on over the years. it helped me but the diet was not a cure. I believe though I might have made a mistake with the diet. Hard to say for sure, but on the main paleo diet (there are several paleo diets promoted.) one is to eat grass fed meats. Around 90% of live stock is raised in pens and fed diets high in soy meal, corn, synthetic vitamins etc. - a diet far from natural. I was doing that buying grass fed and free range, but later read the labeling of grassed fed doesn't mean all that much it seems. You can read a little bit about that here:

"You may want to think twice before buying expensive grass-fed beef"

http://www.businessinsider.com/grass-fed-claims-beef-bogus-usda-packaging-2016-2

Now that I'm eating wild caught fish, where it would be more difficult to feed fish feed lot foods, my stomach is greatly improved and energy levels up. Fingers crossed I continue to recover. This is my theory on why I'm doing better.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad to hear the paleo diet is helping you. Just out of curiosity, where are you a firefighter? Are you only going with the paleo diet or are you going in medications to keep things under control?

I'm curious about it's effectiveness, namely because fibre is such a big scary thing for a lot of us.

Did you have to go through a transition phase, i.e. a liquid diet to give your intestines a break before changing over to being able to digest things like whole vegetables, nuts, seeds, red meats.

I'm thinking of giving my diet a serious shift post-diagnosis and seeing if that along with treatment will make things better.

Leloupaccroupi,

There hasn't been all the much interest in looking at dietary ideas for IBD conditions. Some say that is due to the lack of money to made. I imagine there is some truth to that. I imagine also a good many with IBD conditions are not all that interested in changing their diets and instead rely upon medications.

The most popular diet for IBD conditions is called the SCD. It is similar to the paleo diet. In small studies the SCD was found to help those with Crohns around 60% of the time, to some degree or another. The diet has been around since the 1950s I believe, and despite its popularity it was just announced last month that a large study to look at the SCD for IBD patients was to be conducted.

"First-Ever National Study of Dietary Interventions to Treat Crohn's Disease Receives Funding"

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...rohns-disease-receives-funding-300241074.html

Hopefully the study will be done correctly, meaning there has been a good amount of shady dealings with medication studies. You can read some about that here:

"The Augean stables"

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/08/27/the-augean-stables/

There doesn't seem to be any hard set rules when it comes to diet. For example, some feel phylum fiber is very helpful for their Crohns. Other find the fiber makes their condition worse. Some find a liquid diet for awhile a great value at letting the stomach heal. One doctor out of the UK, a Dr. Hunter, uses a liquid diet as his starting point to place Crohns patients into remission. From there he works on finding trigger foods that cause problems. His work has been published in several medication journals. Others begin at trying the paleo or SCD diet. Often time the diets help, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometime the diet makes a persons condition worse.

Another popular IBD diet writer is Danielle Walker. She has an IBD condition, believe it to be UC, and she found the paleo diet placed her into remission. She has written a couple New York Times best selling cook books about her IBD diet. One of her books can be viewed here:

"Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great"

http://www.amazon.com/Against-All-G...&qid=1461234780&sr=8-2&keywords=daniel+walker