• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pancolitis

I've had Crohn's for 20 years and have just been diagnosed with Pancolitis. I'm taking prednisolone and azathioprine. Waiting for biopsy results. Pancolitis is new to me. Any practical advice?

Hi!

Pancolitis just means that there is inflammation throughout the colon. If you google the definition it refers to Ulcerative colitis, but in my experience it can be used to describe Crohn's colitis as well. I have Crohn's colitis and I was described as having pancolitis because there are patches on inflammation in lots of different areas of my colon from caecum to rectum - unfortunately!

I have found that Aza alone is not enough for me and I need mesalazine as well. If the colon is your main cause of problems then you need to make sure that the drugs you are prescribed will be designed to target the colon and not be released too early in your digestive tract.

Hopefully your GI will be able to get you on the best treatment once you get the results.

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

As an all-small-bowel Crohnie I'm afraid I have no advice on colitis of any kind...so basically I am no use at all on this but I'm hoping that if I bump this thread that someone with pancolitis will come along and give you some more information :)

Was the prednisolone prompted by the diagnosis of pancolitis? And is the azathioprine new for you?

How has your Crohn's been over the last 20 years? What sort of imaging have you had done over that time?

Best of luck

Leighss if you click on the underlined word "pancolitis" in your original post it will take you to our wiki entry where there is a short description and references listed. Also, there are threads listed below that descriptio that have mention of pancolitis. You may want to weed through those and see if one is titled such, as it would more likely have the most experiences that pertain to pancolitis.