• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pancreatitis on Imuran

I am a 220lbs 6'1" guy, currently taking 100mg of Imuran a day, in a single dose, for almost a month now. I was TMPT tested (all good) and my GI started me at 100mg even though at my weight, 150mg would be feasible.

Four days ago I started experiencing epigastric pain, mostly resolving around my rib cage. It starts 2-4 hours after eating, an inch or two under my sternum, and irradiates to my back. I've been flaring for over a year, and this kind of pain was entirely new to me.

Yesterday, I began experiencing fever, and threw up. Today I had fever again, but did not throw up.

A little research indicated it was probably pancreatitis, and by either sheer luck or the involvement of witchcraft, I got a hold of my GI.

He said to stop taking the drug immediately. He's quite sure it's pancreatitis, which apparently surprised him since my TMPT test was fine and I'm taking a moderate dose. I'm to go for blood tests tomorrow to confirm the severity of the pancreatitis and have me checked out, and I'm supposed to reschedule with him as well for an early apointment.

Since I am allergic to 5ASA, I wonder what the next step for me is? I've read people do well on 6MP after failing on Aza/Imuran.

Anybody else experienced a pancreatitis on Imuran? Did you have similar symptoms?

F*ck this disease to be honest. :ybatty:

Sorry to hear that Francis. Glad that you caught it before it got too bad as some people need to be hospitalised.
I was on Aza/Imuran but had to come off it due to it affecting my liver. Last Friday I started 6MP and after 3 days suffered severe side effects and my GI told me to stop immediately. Your GI may decide to try 6MP but because of the pancreatitis may not.
I hope all your tests are fine and take care. 😎

Pancreatis is apparently very serious indeed, hopefully the damage was minimal. I hear chronic pancreatitis is no fun at all.

Doc said the next step is biologics. I guess I'll be on Remicade soon.

Kev

I had pancreatitis prior to AZA.. It was from Crohns. It isn't fun at all, and if you develop pancreatic cysts... then you are talking real fun. Clear liquid diet should help get past the initial stages IF you have stopped the AZA. Have you looked at LDN as an option?

All the steroids they tried me on for my crohns gave me pancreatitis. I was hospitalized twice. Once for 3 and 1/2 weeks the second time for 5 weeks. First time I had to have a pic line second time I had a feeding tube put in. It was the worst pain I've ever had in my life and I have 4 kids. Also I was sicker then I'd ever been. The only way to heal from it was stopping those meds, not eating or drinking anything at all and pain meds threw an IV.

Oh I then was put on humira and after that stopped working I was put on remicade. I'm still on that but they've recently changed the dose and moved my infusions to every 6 weeks