• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Parastomal Hernia Surgery

Terriernut

Is finally booked. 7th of September.

Ollie will no longer have his own Post Code and voting card. He's asked for a passport, but I told him no, it's too expensive.

So I'm killing the big bastard off!!! :evil:

Last edited:
Yay, Misty!! Say goodbye, Ollie, you miserable old so-and-so!

I'm so happy for you---September 7th can't come soon enough...CONGRATULATIONS!

Cheers,

Kismet

Terriernut

Kismet...I will post pics soon of Ollie. Just to scare people, or gross them out. Maybe I should wait till Halloween though to post the pictures. I never thought a hernia could get that big.

Thanks for the congrats....I am overjoyed that FINALLY it's getting done. Then I can actually take Aza or 6MP to calm my flare down. Because right now, I cant take anything due to the infection rate of hernia surgery. Catch 22.

Ian

So pleased for you Misty, every time you mention Ollie I think about how difficult and uncomfortable it must be for you, even if giving it a name makes it slightly cuter haha. Do you know what recovery will be like? I hope it doesn't put you out of action for too long and that everything goes smoothly (including your stomach once the bugger has been thrown in a medical waste bin lol) x

Terriernut

They say a couple of days in the hospital, and two to three weeks off work at home Ian. As I've booked 2 weeks holiday time anyway in September....

Anyway, they cant hold it against me at work that way I hope!!!!

So glad to hear you are going to get rid of that giant hernia that has made your life so miserable! My wish is for you to have a beautifully quick hospital stay that is uneventful and forgettable!
Good bye Ollie!

Great news Misty. I'm yet to have a parastomal hernia, but have heard they can make everything so much harder so it's great to hear you will be having it repaired.

All the best and hope the surgery and recovery goes nice and smoothly.

Gav :)

LOSTnut

Poopy
Yay, yay ... YAAAAAAY!!!!
Awesome news on the Ollie front; since I have already seen that ... that....THING I am extremely happy for you that they finally agreed that it is time for him to go.
Hope and wish that all will go well. :thumright: :thumleft:

Terriernut

Yeah Heike, Michelle has seen Ollie too. I think she almost lost her dinner! Ollie is even bigger now. So the day before surgery, I'll take a picture and post it.

I'll do the happy dance as soon as I can dance again...whhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Oh yes, of course, I forgot about that. Cannot wait to see another picture of Ollie before he gets axed! :D

Terriernut

If you need anything then let me know!! Xxx
@ Michelle...ditto! You know I'm just minutes away. It's the little things that help..like how to keep poo from your fingers. I'll be your nearby stoma nurse!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Woooo thank you! I'll be on hand to admire your newly flat stomach in a non lesbian way!!!

Ps. I've been taking those bags everywhere for people to admire lol, so thank you xxxxxxx

I do! I took them over to chris's last night. Then we got in the bath and he goes, "what do you do when you have a bath or swim???" kind of nice he's thinking about these things.

ameslouise

Oh, Misty, that's great that you have a date booked!! I kinda chuckle every time I read "parastomal hernia" becaues my brain wants to read "paranormal hernia", which it kinda is because it's been haunting you for so long! Hahahhaha!

Hope all goes well and you have an easy recovery and this brings you the relief you so need and deserve!

xo xo - Ames

Ah at last a bit of good feckin news !!

I told you when you won that 150 million on the euro millions that you would find it easier to get an appointment !!

Haha . . . genuinely delighted for ya mate !!

bruscar

xx

Nyx

Good news on the Ollie front! Maybe they'll put him in a jar and you can take him home....lol Talk about grossing people out...lol

Seriously though, congrats! I hope it goes well and your recovery is smooth sailing...

Terriernut

Oh, Misty, that's great that you have a date booked!! I kinda chuckle every time I read "parastomal hernia" becaues my brain wants to read "paranormal hernia", which it kinda is because it's been haunting you for so long! Hahahhaha!

Hope all goes well and you have an easy recovery and this brings you the relief you so need and deserve!

xo xo - Ames
Its paranormally large Ames...so paranormal works for me! :ylol:

Terriernut

Good news on the Ollie front! Maybe they'll put him in a jar and you can take him home....lol Talk about grossing people out...lol

Seriously though, congrats! I hope it goes well and your recovery is smooth sailing...
I wish I could put Ollie in a jar..too bad it's my own bloody intestines hanging out! Cant get rid of em just yet!

Thanks oodles Cindy!

Terriernut

Ah at last a bit of good feckin news !!

I told you when you won that 150 million on the euro millions that you would find it easier to get an appointment !!

Haha . . . genuinely delighted for ya mate !!

bruscar

xx
Bruscar...I'm taking you out on the town if I win the euro millions! Thanks Sweetheart!

Terriernut

I do! I took them over to chris's last night. Then we got in the bath and he goes, "what do you do when you have a bath or swim???" kind of nice he's thinking about these things.
Awwwww! My soon to be ex hasnt looked at me naked in years let alone worried what I did when I had a bath! Hope you have a keeper there Michelle.

lol @ soon to be. Eeek. I hope so too! He told me that he always takes things one day at a time but he's acting interested in everything I have to say and is taking me for my dilatation next week. He offered :)

Also, my parents came back from holiday and my mum who isn't exactly large came back with a huge bulge around her middle where she had eaten so much. I told her it was larger than your Ollie. Luckily she laughed...

LOSTnut

Poopy
Awwwww! My soon to be ex hasnt looked at me naked in years let alone worried what I did when I had a bath! Hope you have a keeper there Michelle.
In that case it is about time that he is becoming your ex rather sooner than later! :yrolleyes:

Agree with the rest, I hope Misty that your partner is an ex sooner rather than later by the sounds of things.

I met my wife around 3 years ago, after both of my stoma surgeries and she took to it like a duck to water. She is more supportive than I could ever have asked for, which is one of many reasons why she is now my wife :). A keeper for sure, sounds like your partner certainly is similar Michelle, that will be such a good support during your upcoming surgery. It really makes a big difference having someone understanding and supportive around. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, Misty deserves the best of the best because she is beautiful on the inside and out! I've seen for myself first hand!

Thanks Gav. He used to be a bit of a dick back in the day. But since he begged me for a second chance over the space of a few years, he's like a whole new person. A leopard can change his spots, apparently!

Terriernut

Thanks ya'll. After the surgery was finally booked I got the 'do I HAVE to take you to the hospital?' And 'what time, I cant take time off work'.

No problem, I'll get a cab thank you very much!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Wow, what an insensitive jerk!!!!!

I wish I would be there and drive you and pick you up and offer you one of my extra bedrooms for rest and recoup ... and of course, you could bring Freya!

What a dick head! What time do you have to be there there? I go through harpenden on my way to work around 9ish if that's any help? I can always be earlier or later?

Terriernut

Had my bloods drawn this afternoon for the surgery! I'm to check in at 1pm for approximate surgery time of 3pm. They expect me to stay for 2 nights. (that will be 2 nights of hell for nurses no doubt! Only because I wander the halls and like to go outside at night...cant help it, I get hot!) I'm soooo looking forward to killing Ollie!!! :ycool:

Whoop whoop whoop whoop!!!!!!! This is excellent news!

Obviously not about moving stan but surely if it means that Ollie won't come back, it's a good thing?

LOSTnut

Poopy
I am soooooo happy for you, Girl. It definitely is time to send Ollie on his way and hopefully the move of Stan will be to your advantage and prevent another Ollie from showing up.

I will be thinking of you so hard on Tuesday. Wish I could be there for you when you wake up.

Behave!!!!!!!! :D

Yay! Kicking Ollie to the curb...Here's hoping that Stan's new position will be a good one for you and that everything goes so well that they boot you out of the hospital in record time.

Will be thinking about you...

Kismet

Astra

Aw Misty, sorry I'm late to the party!
Such great news hun, hope it all goes well and you get to keep Stan.
He was, after all, Clint Eastwood's Dad! :ylol:

Good luck and stay well
xxxx

Terriernut

Thank ya'll. I'm just worried if they move Stan, they wont make it the right spot, or even worse, that he wont be a proper teapot anymore! Also worried that may make recovery time longer. And work is already pissed off that I missed weeks early in the year.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Misty,

Sending you all the luck in the world hun that all goes well with your surgery and I sure hope Stan gets to stay put!...:hug:

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

Thinking of you, :heart:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thank ya'll. I'm just worried if they move Stan, they wont make it the right spot, or even worse, that he wont be a proper teapot anymore! Also worried that may make recovery time longer. And work is already pissed off that I missed weeks early in the year.
Work can wait and don't worry about that, it is more important that you are healthy enough to get to work. This is why awareness is so important. If they think omg here she goes again not coming...yeah well try a dose for day, most couldnt handle it.

You come first. :rosette2:

Terriernut

I will TRY to behave ya'll! I will TRY to not work from my hospital bed. Or from my sofa. But I'm in SALES and I NEED commission! So......

Good news is...I booked alot of 'holiday time' for Sept so I wont be actually off 'sick' for more than maybe a week. Bad news is, it's open surgery.

Does anyone know how long I should wait for to take pred and 6mp after surgery to avoid infection??? (I'm flaring without any meds but pentasa right now)

I'm with everyone else!! Stuff work. Your health is the most important thing. It's not like you don't have a genuine reason not to be there. You're no slacker. You'd say the same thing to me!!

LOSTnut

Poopy
I'm with everyone else!! Stuff work. Your health is the most important thing. It's not like you don't have a genuine reason not to be there. You're no slacker. You'd say the same thing to me!!
And to me. So, take your own advice and do NOTHING that would cause Ollie to come back! No belly laughs either .... ;)

Terriernut

I'm thinking alot of ace bandages will hold me in tight, and leave room for Stan? Or maybe Stan II. I know I have to behave. Sadly, I have no MINIONS to boss around to wait on me hand and foot. So, this lady leo must get things herself. So I CANT behave!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Don't you have home health care or some such thing? And, by all means, before you cause more damage, stay a couple of days longer in the hospital. I know it sucks, but so does having to go back.
Please be careful and get someone to come to the house and help you out with stuff. Promise??!!

Terriernut

Home health care, or visiting nurses dont make tea! Also, thanks to them I got a staph infection the last time! As I'm going private this time, I'm allowed 2 nights in hospital. Which is enough I hope! (This hospital had someone who had keyhole surgery on the knee last year and got flesh eating disease...dead in 4 days..I think I'd like to go home soon thank you) I will not do housework. I will not do gardening. (I'm doing all of that tomorrow before I go in) I will lay on my sofa and be good. The only reason I have a hernia in the first place is because my roomy brought home one helluva flu and I got a chest infection soon after my surgery.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Ouch -- not good. But, at one point you mentioned you had a god son. Wouldn't his parents be able to help out a bit or are they too far away? Could you get Grahame to help out? I know he seems to be an ass about the hospital, but when you are home he could make you some tea and food.

Anyhow, don't overdo it today. Remember being "healthy" before surgery helps with the healing process too. So, don't stress over weeds or dust bunnies .... they will be there when you feel better. :)

Still wish I could be there when you wake up....

Terriernut

My god son lives in Denver. Grahame will have to manage to help whether he likes it or not I guess!!!

I hope it is a swift recovery. I'm sure it will be! Dont worry Heike! :hug:

Hi Misty:

I sure hope that Grahame will be there to help you out AND that you have a very swift recovery.

I'm sure you're as prepared as you can be for recovering post-surgery, but have you got stuff like Ensure around in case you can't get a meal together? Enough funds for places that deliver once you're able to start eating but still may not be feeling well enough to cook (or have a craving for)? Sorry, I'm one of those people who "hopes for the best and prepares for the worst" kinda party-pooper!

Does home nursing care come by to help you get in and out of the tub/shower and help you with bathing?

Phooey, I wish we lived closer and be able to pop in and make you a cup of tea and do your bidding!

Kismet

Terriernut

Aww Kismet! I have some Ensure yes. I will bet I will feel like eating immediately. Whether I will be able or not we will see.

Home nursing only comes to do dressing changes for me. You have to be practically dead or very infirm indeed to get any other help. There are alot of folks who need it more than I. When I came home with Stan, I was on my own all day long throughout. I managed. I made cuppa soups and such. As for bathing, I gingerly got in and out of the tub to take a shower by myself. But only when I couldnt stand the stink anymore!!! :yfaint: The thought of seeing me naked was probably too much for anyone to bear!!! (come to think of it...I dont look at myself either!)

Thank you for worrying, but I'm as tough as old boots. I'm more worried about bleeding to death on the surgery table. I bleed like a stuck pig. They just rang me and want to run a clotting test on me. They couldnt stop my bleeding after they took bloods last Thurs.

Hey honey- just stopping by to wish you all the very best for tomorrow.
Be good- God knows why I said that cos I know it ain't going to happen!! lol
Wishing you the speediest and easiest of recoveries.
Will be thinking of you. Loads a love and a big hug xxx

LOSTnut

Poopy
Good luck, Misty!

Thinking of you all day, knowing that you are approx. 9 hours ahead of me.

Hope to hear positive news soon. :heart::heart::hug::hug::hug:

Terriernut

Impatiently Waiting to see surgeon and go to theatre. All I can think of right now is food!!!! Nice comfy bed though! Cant wait til this is over!!! Thank yall xxxx

Waiting for the theatre man to knock on your door seems to take forever!
Good luck and hope to hear from you soon after your nice sleep.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Good luck today!!! You know we are all there for ya! We will be here waiting to hear from ya! Hugs! :highfive:

Terriernut

The surgeon had a big op before me apparently. I've had to wait through lunch and now looks like watching everyone eat dinner as well! Grrrrrrrr

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
That really sucks! But, again it is hospital food, yuck. Dont worry, if you smell onions it could be your doctor ate lol. :hang:

Hope you're in the middle of a wonderful dreamless sleep at this moment, Misty! That was a looooong wait....Thinking of you and looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Big hugs,

Kismet

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the update Michelle.

Sending mega loads of love :heart:, hugs :hug: and healing thoughts your way Misty!...

:getwell:

Dusty. xxx

LOSTnut

Poopy
Phew ... good !to hear that she was able to send out a little message.

thanks for updating, Michelle

Misty, hope the pain will be held in check by the "good" stuff and you will be able to check in yourself soon. Hang in there and, once again: BEHAVE!! :)

Nyx

Thanks for the update Michelle...good to know she made it through and was able to get the word out! Tell her we're all thinking of her! :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks Michelle, it is too be expected with any surgery, pain always follows... I know it follows me where ever I go.. She is a fighter and will be back here before ya know it!

Hurry and get well fast Misty!!

You're welcome everyone.

She doesn't know how it went yet as she's not seeing the surgeon till this afternoon. Will hopefully know more then.

Hoping to go and visit her tomorrow too to make sure she's not causing too much chaos hehe.

Terriernut

Hi! I had to go outside, no moby signal in my room. I am somewhat coherant. It is very painful this incision. I am also really bloated. A bit of vomiting too. The bad bit is I still look 9 months preggers! This better go down or will personally strangle the surgeon! Yes I am being naughty too. I'm having a cig right now!

Why does this NOT surprise me??? BEHAVE!!!:lol:
Hope you're soon feeling better honey- thinking of ya and sending loads a love
:hug: xxxxx

Astra

oooo Thank God you're ok, well ya must be if you've made it out for a fag!
It's always the first thing I do after surgery too!
I was told once by a nurse that it's always the smokers who recover well and quickly!
Speedy recovery luv!
Take it easy
xxxxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ugh make me gag, a fag so soon? :ywow: Somehow whenever I was in the hospital I could never smoke, even when I was a smoker.

Don't worry Misty , the belly will go down, Jeez woman you just got out of surgery wait a few minutes! :ytongue:

hi there, sounds like it all went really well for you. i had an epigastric hernia removed in may, had swollen tummy for about 10 days so dont worry its not permanent!! wishing you a speedy recovery xx

You bad lady, sending smoke signals already...I wondered what the fog was caused by..here's me thinking it was weather related.
Glad you are on your feet and hope your pain and sickness settle soon...I have some coconut mushrooms left!

ameslouise

Glad to see your mischevious side and sense of humor have remained intact!

Hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery, and a belly that doesn't look a day over 14 weeks! :)

xo - Ames

Anyone who is 'tough as old boots' would be out smoking in no time! The bloating is probably all that gas they pump you up with---I'm sure it will go down, Misty! I looked like I was carrying octuplets after my surgery.

Don't shy away from the pain meds ---best friends, they'll be for the next little while!

Stay sane,

Kismet

Terriernut

No good drugs here I'm sorry to say. Just paracetamol and codeine. Hell I can get that at home!!! Bowels havent worked yet so they probably won't send me home today. The lazy critters, I walk I smoke I drink coffee and still they sleep!!!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Yay -- back with the living and up and out and smoking. :)

Cannot wait to see the "after" pictures once the swelling goes down. What did the surgeon say? How long do you have to stay in the hospital?

Weird that you don't get a signal in the hospital ... here at least on the station you do .... and they have wifi, albeit a really really bad one, but still ....
Hope you are feeling better by the minute. Lotsa love and hugs!!!!!!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ha, should of named your stoma... Susie...yah know that old song, Wake up little susie..wakeup.. Ok, I am leaving...

Terriernut

Have no fear, stan is beginning to wake up!! The surgeon said I may be here all weekend and when stan heard that he started farting. It was his wake up call! So once stan let's rip with the real deal off I'll go!! Now they are trying me on tramadol??? How has that been for y'all? I convinced the surgeon it was all her fault putting me on codeine and she should let me go home but she wasn't buying it!