• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Parents with kids with ibd

Is there an increased risk of a child getting IBD with natural birth?

• I had IBD before giving natural birth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had a c-section and my child has IBD

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I do not have IBD but my child has

Votes: 22 95.7%

• Total voters
I am pregnant and scared that I will pass my CD on to the child, I know it is a 2% risk, but I have read that the bacteria in the colon can increase risk of passing it on during child birth.

Congratulations! Like most of life, you just have to jump in and hope for the best. :) The latest thinking is that there is a genetic susceptibility and disease gets triggered by the environment. Your child has good hope for a long life, better medications, and even a possible cure in their lifetime. And forewarned can be forearmed. Good luck!

Krika,
The baby is really not exposed to your germs in your colon during birth. Not sure where you read that but the colon is a sealed system totally seperate from the vaginal canal. If you are worried ask the nurses to cleanse your bottom with some betadine or whatever cleanser they use right before the baby come out. that way if there are any germs lingering in the rectal area they will be cleaned away right before baby comes out.