• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Patrick's battle with food! Switching to Gluten Free.

Hello all,
I am Patrick, I have been battling crohn's since I was 11. I went downhill overtime but with Humira and now Cimzia I am doing a bit better but my doctor things I may be steroid dependent.
I don't want to accept that yet, I am doing so much better. I will be getting my GED in the next month and a Drivers License. It's just I am not in complete remission. In my opinion that means very little crohn's symptoms.

I have been reading a lot about gluten free diet's. When I was about 12 my mom tried to do a dairy free diet "I tested positive for lactose intolerance" but my symptoms were the same lactose or not. They tested me for celiac disease but that was negative.

So I am going to try a gluten free diet for say 3 months. And I will be trying to eat foods that are supposed to help crohn's. I will be using mostly lactose free milk, granted I read that most hard cheeses that I like to cook with have low lactose so I will see.

If anyone has tips or tricks please let me know.

I will report all changes here and perhaps some of what i have eaten, I will answer any questions.

I feel gluten might be the problem, why? Well last night I had serious digestion "that is what I call it" it was so loud and I could feel it was intense. What did I eat, I ate Pizza from Pizza hut and two bowels of lucky charms.

I don't normally eat pizza but I had a weird craving these last few days. I haven't eaten pizza in months and i rarely eat it. I found a recipe for gluten free pizza that has and egg and cheese crust. I can't wait to try it. I will after my money comes in.

Normally I eat Italian cheese stuffed chicken I love white breast chicken. I will post it later. It is completely gluten free and is all natural. I have loved this dish for years and was shocked to find out its really good for me.

I have read that cheese is good to help solidify stools. As well as psyllium seed which I have been eating on and off for the past week, mixed with apple sauce.

I wan't to find a way to have easy dishes cause at times with how hectic my life is right now, it is so hard to make some things, I hate being so tired to make a proper meal.

I appreciate any comments.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,
Gluten free is a good idea. It probably won't solve all your problems but it might start you in the right direction.- Food, not food-like products.

There is a difference between gluten free foods and gluten replacement foods.(a banana is gluten free, a pizza base is gluten replacement- a mix of grains and chemicals)
Avoid food cooked by corporations, it's poison dressed up to look good