• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Paying 4 students loans when very ill

Greetings Everyone,

I tried to search for information on this topic, trying to pay for student loans when the patient is too ill to work but can't seem to find it.

Does anybody know of a website or have information (I could've sworn it was on the CD forum) that if one can not work due to be very ill and can not truly pay back the student loans, it can be written off or reduced at a lower rate??

Thanks in advance. it's for a buddy of mine who has UC and is too sick right now to do anything.

:)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I made a sticky about it in Members Only. The Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=33604

If they aren't disabled/don't qualify for that plan then they could do the Income Based Repayment plan which would basically mean they would pay nothing since they don't have income. If you qualify for this plan and cannot pay (you need to make a certain amount for them to decide you can pay anything so if you're under that amount you pay nothing) for 15 years in a row then they completely get rid of your debt. It's another option but try for the The Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge first as you only have to wait 3 years for the debt to be gone.