• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

PE class vent/dislocated kneecap

My daughter is not having a good PE experience this school year. I won't go into all the details, but it's bad enough that we were getting ready to ask for her to be excused from the class completely for the spring semester, which starts in 2 weeks. So then on Friday she fell while running in PE, and dislocated her kneecap. :( She'll have a leg immobilizing brace and crutches for several weeks, and then lots of physical therapy. This particular class has definitely not been good for her health, and hopefully her counselor will agree at her 504 Plan meeting on Weds...

Tesscorm

Staff member
Sorry to hear this - must have been so painful! A problem you just don't need!! :ymad:

We didn't have a great experience with one of S's PE teachers either - right after dx, we met with all teachers (that particular semester he had two different PE classes...). All his teachers, principal and counselor were great about making necessary adjustments but one teacher PE just didn't get it! :ymad: S was on EEN, just recovering from his flare and his teacher wouldn't give any allowance on the long distance running (which comprised a decent amount of that class' overall mark). And the long distance running was the one thing that brought on pain during his recovery! Made me so mad!! But, S didn't want to make a big deal and said he'd just accept the lower mark. Ugh!

Hopefully, you can find a compromise going forward - some exercise is good but has to be within the kids' limits. (And, unfortunately, even kids don't know their limits sometimes!)

Maya142

Staff member
I'm sorry to hear E is having such a hard time in PE :(. We were able to get my daughter exempted from PE, but in her case it was due to her joints. But like your daughter, she would try to participate and then injure herself and make her arthritis worse.

The other accommodation she had (before she was completely exempted) was sitting out whenever she felt the need to. She was not penalized for this.

She hated doing it because she had to stay in the gym while everyone participated and after it became clear her joints were not going to get better, we just had her exempted for PE altogether. Her rheumatologist was very supportive - she got exercise other more appropriate ways - physical therapy and swimming at her own pace.

When M was exempted, she was given an extra study hall, which was VERY helpful. She got to do homework and had less to do at home.

I hope the meeting goes well - let us know how it goes!

Oh no! My sister was recently in a car crash and shattered her kneecap (and broke her opposite ankle!). She also has a leg immobilizing brace and has lots of physical therapy going on. I'm not sure if this will apply to your daughter too, but my sister is allowed to bear weight... just can't bend the knee. Definitely some unique challenges coming your way. I hope she heals quickly!

Like Maya's daughter, DS also has the line in his 504 stating that he can sit out of PE as needed. He only did once, for the mile run, because that was back when he was nauseous in the AM and, of course, had gym first period. These kids know their bodies and they simply need to do what they're bodies need.

Good luck. Let us know what they say... and how the healing goes!

my little penguin

Staff member
We also have a line in his 504
That Ds can self limit activities in school including gym
Class as needed
As long as he dresses for gym he gets credit

He may walk he may sit he may fully participate it's up to him and the gym
Teacher asks where he is at for the day

He walks the 1 mile run

Thanks, everyone. My daughter's 504 Plan already says that she can excuse herself from any PE activity that is too tiring or strenuous, but she really hates to do that. Her class is 100 minutes long (every other day), so sitting out is really boring, and--being 14 years old--she feels like everyone is staring at her wondering what's wrong with her. So she ends up participating more than she should, and either getting exhausted or injured. (They play a lot of old school games like football, dodgeball, and kickball. Lots of balls hurled right at your stomach.)

It also doesn't help that her class is large, and her teacher doesn't always remember who she is. So sometimes when she sits out, she gets an F for the day, until I remind him about her 504 Plan.

I guess if I felt like this class was actually improving her health, I'd try to make it work, but right now, she's either sitting in the bleachers or trying to hide in the back of a dodgeball game most days. (Or getting pummeled in the stomach or dislocating her knee!) She'd be getting much more out of doing something like swimming or Tai Chi as an independent study.

Maya142

Staff member
That is exactly how my daughter felt - like everyone was staring and then of course kids would say stuff like "I wish I was sick all the time so I could skip PE." I told her to ignore it, but it bugged her.

She did much better when she was exempt from PE.

Sorry PDX. We went through the same thing. My son already felt like he stood out drinking his "shakes" all the times and didn't want another reminder that he was "different". It is hard to convince kids that the other kids are so worried about themselves at that age that they may not notice what you do. All it takes is one comment from someone to make them self conscious.

I think maybe getting her out of that class for good would be best, especially with this new injury. I hope the meeting goes well and that she recovers quickly

The 504 meeting went well. E's counselor told us that there are no PE exemptions at all given in our school district, which I find hard to believe, but she did give us the option to drop her current PE class next semester and do an independent study class through BYU's online program. They offer a range of classes, including one called "Walking Fitness," so E is going to do that one as soon as she gets the green light to resume exercise. We'll have to pay for it, but it's not too expensive.

The PE requirement here is just 2 semesters, so once she finishes the online class, she'll be done. :banana:

Maya142

Staff member
Glad it worked out!! I find that hard to believe too - but, I guess since there are online classes, everyone can do them? I guess some of them must be writing based or like a health class?

Really glad E will be done SOON!