• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pen or Syringe what's your preference?

Hi all

Just wondered if you think the pen or syringe is easier. I started with the pen, and accidentally my pharmacist gave me the syringes for a few doses and I went back to the pen again but the loud click freaks me out so much and I do think it is sorer than the syringe what about you?

theOcean

Pen! The syringe I have trouble with because I can't actually look at needles, and I actually find the fact that you can go slower with the syringe makes it worse. Because it's the medication itself that's painful, I'd rather get it over with quickly with the pen.

I also find that I still get bad injection site reactions with either the pen or the syringe and it doesn't make a difference.

The click doesn't scare me with the pen, but I do try and either count down or get someone else to count down for me so I actually go through with pressing it. :p

I also use the pen. I don't like looking at needles sticking out of me! To stop me from jumping when I press the button I put headphones in and turn up my music just while I'm giving myself the shot. So far it has worked well! I'd rather just get it over with quickly, even if it's a bit more painful.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS prefers the syringe - I do the shot for him , I can add lidocaine to decrease the pain to the syringe and no clicking loud noise .
He has auto injectors from epi pens so doesn't want the reminder of that experience .

My kid absolutely hates her Humira day. We are on the syringe and no matter how fast or slow I go it hurts. I'm afraid to switch to pen because then I will have no control with it.

I started with pen few weeks back and I am interested on trying out the syringe. I hate the lack of control with pen and the fact that I don't see the needle bothers me. Also injecting straight does not feel right, I'd rather do it in 45 degree angle with syringe. How long is the needle in syringe? I do not have fear of needles and I don't find injecting to hurt much, its unpleasant but not actually painful. I should try the syringe after this batch.

I think its a personal preference but if you can i'd switch to see what you like more. The needles are long to me, especially compared to the MTX needle

The syringe. The noise freaked me out, too, and I've actually jumped and/or tensed up so bad on multiple occasions that a bit of the medication didn't make it into my leg. Not a fan. It was more painful as well.

Syringe. I hated the clicking of the pen, it was a major anxiety trigger. And with the syringe, I could control the speed and make sure all of the medication was injected. With the pen I found that quite a bit of medication leaked out at the end, causing me huge site reactions that lasted for two weeks each time.

I just had my shot with pen and when I took it off after 15s or so, and some of the liquid leaked out from what looked like a small bubble in my stomach. This happened on my first shot but I thought it happened because I took it off too soon. Now I am sure I held it long enough... Is this just a problem with the pen and won't happen with syringe?

How bad you think it is if few drops of medication leaks out...?

theOcean

I just had my shot with pen and when I took it off after 15s or so, and some of the liquid leaked out from what looked like a small bubble in my stomach. This happened on my first shot but I thought it happened because I took it off too soon. Now I am sure I held it long enough... Is this just a problem with the pen and won't happen with syringe?

How bad you think it is if few drops of medication leaks out...?
I get that happening still from time-to-time. If it's a few drops I don't think it's a big deal. I had one week where I accidentally injected in the muscle in my thigh and it all came out. :(

Yeah I guess its ok, it was just some drops, 6 or 7 maybe not more. Injection hurt this time, I did it on my stomach, guess I hit the nerve or something. I will see my GI today amd ask about the syringe for sure!

I prefer the syringe.

Since I have been giving myself B-12 injections for 30 years I am used to needles.

Humira needle is much smaller gauge than that used for B-12.

Miles

First shot with the syringe, and in fact first real injection by myself (no auto-injector)! It was intimidating for sure but.. so much better than the pen! Could not even feel it and administering the medicine caused no pain either.

Highly recommended if you can tolerate and see the needle going in.

theOcean, I noticed that you said you get bad injection site reactions. I didn't on my first four loading injections, but when I took my second round of two on Saturday, I got the site reactions as well. They itch like crazy, are bright red, and are the size of a silver dollar. Normal? Typical? What do you do to help with that? I spoke with my GI nurse yesterday, who spoke with my GI and said from now on take Benadryl before I take the injection. Do you get the reaction each time to inject? How many days does it take to go away? Mine are still there, after four days, not even trying to go away.

theOcean

That's actually exactly what happened to me! I was totally fine for my first two or three months of injections and then I started getting injection-site reactions. Mine itched initially but they don't anymore even though I still get them, and yes, they can last awhile. They used to still be there by the time I was due for my next injection, but now they don't seem to last as long. I do get the reaction every time, still.

I take Benadryl before my injections and again at night before I go to sleep on injection day, but it doesn't really make a difference, I find. I just hope it comes down to a tolerable level for you like it did for me!

Just got my loading doses for Humira last Monday but I'm a pen girl - don't have to look at the needle and in 10 seconds it's over. Used my stomach because my Doctor's nurse who is diabetic suggested that the stomach was less painful than the thigh. Have used an epi-pen before so not something new to me.

Pen. Click, a little pinch, count, it's done. I can't reach that many places with the syringe, and have no one to do it for me. My hand moves, I flinch, and generally don't like seeing the needle go in.

They can stick me with any size needle, but don't ask me to watch.

theOcean, I noticed that you said you get bad injection site reactions. I didn't on my first four loading injections, but when I took my second round of two on Saturday, I got the site reactions as well. They itch like crazy, are bright red, and are the size of a silver dollar. Normal? Typical? What do you do to help with that? I spoke with my GI nurse yesterday, who spoke with my GI and said from now on take Benadryl before I take the injection. Do you get the reaction each time to inject? How many days does it take to go away? Mine are still there, after four days, not even trying to go away.
I get that too. The first day is usually just fine, but the next four days I have a patch the size of Cuba on my abdomen and I itch like I have fleas. I don't take Benadryl unless I can afford to sleep all day long, but I haven't noticed a decrease in size, redness, or itchiness in the seven years I've been taking it. Ice helps, though! Sorry, friend.

I am pro-pen. Click. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Done. Totally mindless.

Benadryl will completely knock me out as well. I tried hydrocortisone cream to see if it helped with the itching...nope, not at all. Today I have blisters in the patch as well. If they are still there when it is tie for the next round, is it okay to still do the injections in the same area? I am diabetic and take insulin as well...not many spots that have been injected with something. :p

theOcean

You shouldn't do your injection in the same area regardless... you should always switch spots, either injecting in your legs or your stomach! I hope this dies down for you, but you should mention it to your GI if you haven't already to see what they think.