• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa capsules vs Pentasa slow release tablets

I've been taking Pentasa capsules 500mg (4) twice daily, for the past 11 years, for Crohn's.
Due to cost of the capsules, I'm having to switch to the tablets which are 500 mg, as well.
Are there any differences, as far as effectiveness or anything else, in the tablet form vs capsules? Thank you.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid I never took the capsules, I've always had the slow release. Where do you live? At the moment, I take the mesalamine which is the same thing as the Pentasa, just less expensive. Also, it's a little stronger too so I take less pills. I went from 4 pills a day to 2. It never hurts to ask...

I've not had the capsules, but wish I had them available. I recently changed over from generic 1.2g generic that Cross-stich uses above to the pentasa Tablets and they seem to give me heartburn. It feels like they are dissolving far too early, perhaps in my stomach? You must take them with food I think, but even then, I get a weird heartburn/indigestion feeling 15 minutes after taking one. So far, they have not been very effective, and seem to be doing nothing for me although as you all know that's hard to pinpoint. I get them through UDS in canada, which gets them from the U.K. Box looks legit but seems like a placebo to be honest. Had good luck with Aprisso, but far it's too expensive for any human to buy twice. I may just switch back to the 1.2g generic's

I've been taking Pentasa capsules 500mg (4) twice daily, for the past 11 years, for Crohn's.
Due to cost of the capsules, I'm having to switch to the tablets which are 500 mg, as well.
Are there any differences, as far as effectiveness or anything else, in the tablet form vs capsules? Thank you.
Hi SB 8,

I have recently been diagnosed with crohns in small intestine and jejunum. Colonoscopy showed normal ileum but biopsy shows chronic active ileitis. Started budesonide. But having lot of side effects and the stomach burning in the middle abdomen isn’t going away. I also feel that pentasa will help me. But I don’t know if I should wait for the budesonide to be over and then ask for pentasa. Did you have ulcers in small intestine and jejunum too? At what age were you diagnosed ? I m 41.

I’m sorry The reply is so late. I’ve been off the site for a while. This past February I had a stroke. Im doing pretty good. My memory has taken a hit.
I do have ulcers in my small bowel in the jejunum. I believe I was 54 when diagnosed as Crohn’s until proven otherwise. I’ve been having abdominal pain every couple of months. I’m thinking about trying a biologic. Pentasa has been the only med I’ve taken for 12 years now.

Does anyone know how many hours apart to take famotadine and pentasa ? I have apthous ulcers in my ileum and am on stelara but only feel better on entecort right now. Doc adding back in pentasa since it supposedly gets on the topical ileum. Does anyone have Crohns In ileum and do okay with pentasa ? Thanks