• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa coming back up

As anyone who's on Pentasa knows those blue pills are HUGE. And once they get wet they're sticky. In the grand scheme of things this is a minor problem, but mine will go down then come back up a lot of the time. I'm not sure why. I sometimes take them with food, which helps, but sometimes they even come back up while the food goes on down.

Er, I don't mean vomiting. I mean they feel like they're floating back to the top of my esophagus. I have to keep drinking and swallowing to get them on down. I guess I'm kind of a wimp because it makes me feel like barfing.

Anyone else have this annoying issue? Any tips?

As anyone who's on Pentasa knows those blue pills are HUGE. And once they get wet they're sticky. In the grand scheme of things this is a minor problem, but mine will go down then come back up a lot of the time. I'm not sure why. I sometimes take them with food, which helps, but sometimes they even come back up while the food goes on down.

Er, I don't mean vomiting. I mean they feel like they're floating back to the top of my esophagus. I have to keep drinking and swallowing to get them on down. I guess I'm kind of a wimp because it makes me feel like barfing.

Anyone else have this annoying issue? Any tips?
Oh no! You are gagging on your Pentasa. How awful. :( I remember how sticky those would get. The coating really dissolves quite quickly...

I don't know what to recommend to you. I didn't take Pentasa very long. Have you tried putting it in applesauce or inside a small piece of bread or something? Wish I could be more helpful, but I hope you find something that works for you.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I've never had that problem. I think pentasa does come in different forms besides the blue one, maybe you could get the other pill?

I am taking it and also have that problem. It feels as if it is floating back up my esophagus. I just keep swallowing real hard. Before I know it, it subsides.

Is it working for you?? It seems to have helped me feel 'normal for the first time in many years!

Do they disperse in water like the UK ones? If so, I take mine by putting it in my mouth with a mouthful of water and waiting for it to break up into bits before I swallow.

I used to hate having to swallow pentasa, i had 8 of the tablets a day and at first i really struggled but i found having a pint of water and just taking my time with each one was the only way, It would take ages but its the only way i could manage to get them down and keep them there.

Astra

I do what Rebecca does! Dissolve them in my mouth with water first.
But my Pentasa aren't blue or huge, not capsules neither, they are tablets and are an off white colour.
Can you ask your doc about them, and ask for a change to the dissolving ones without coating?

Thanks everyone. Yes, I do fine on Pentasa as long as I get them all down each day. I find myself approaching my pill container with great dread each day though.

I'll ask my doc about another version. Duh. That never occurred to me, lol.

I'll also try the other techniques too. Unfortunately I JUST filled a huge prescription so have a lot to get down before I can change.

I'm really thankful it works for me but ugh, what a chore it is.

Maybe acid reflux is causing the problem? I've had that with Pentasa as well as other meds, and taking Prevacid a half hour before the pills fixed it.

sawdust

I know that Pentasa used to come in 250mg capsules, about 7 years ago or so, anyway. The 500mg ones were sparsely available where I was, but I did prefer them, because I could fool myself that I was taking half as many pills. ;) I remember the 250s being half blue and half teal in color.

It might be worth asking your doctor whether that would work? Maybe the smaller size would better help you swallow and keep them down?

:hang:

Stick Horse Pills

I have the same issue with 500mg blue capsules -

I drink one swallow of water to "lubricate the path" and immediately follow with the pills - one swallow of water to carry them down. Another swallow of water to be sure they do not stick midway. Don't be stingy on the water used to wash the pills down.

This works most of the time. I hate when one sticks part way down. Getting the pills wet "early" is a problem - they must be dry right up to the initial swallow. Otherwise, the skin becomes too sticky by the time they make the trip to the tummy.

I haven't tried dissolving them first. I assume that Pentasa (5-ASA) doesn't taste as bad as so many other meds we are subject to swallow!

I used to be OK taking them but now for some reason I gag on them, and I know the feeling about walking to the cabinet to get them, Don't despair.

I asked for and got Pentassa granules,(Retard) mine are 2g not sure if they do other sizes, empty the capsule onto your tongue and drink like mad, there's no taste to them if any linger in your mouth, and you don't have to do them all at once, hope this helps you, all the best

Last edited:
CDVeteran, that's my exact technique, lol. I got a big kick out of your lubricating the path first...yep, I do that too but love your wording.

As for dissolving them, I read Pentasa shouldn't be pre-dissolved because it's formulated to dissolve in the small intestine (where my disease is). I think I read it's pH dependent but not sure on that.

Anyway, I've been being more careful about taking it with food and that has helped as long as I save a couple of bites to force it down with. Along with lots of liquid. Bread works really well. It seems to grab the pills and drag them down.

Nice technique to use bread and other simple foods to drive the pills to the stomach. I will add that solution to my quiver!

If I remember correctly, Asacol is a variant that has a coating designed to dissolve based on pH levels. The Pentasa capsules (tiny beads in the capsule) may be coated as well.

Also From NIH regarding Pentasa and removing the contents from the capsule... www[dot]ncbi[dot]nlm[dot]nih[dot]gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000880

"Swallow the tablets whole; do not split, chew, or crush them. Be careful not to break the protective coating on the tablets.

If you are unable to swallow the capsules, you may mix the contents of the capsules with water. Open a capsule and sprinkle all of the beads it contains in a small glass of water. Stir the beads into the water and drink the mixture right away. Do not store mixtures of beads and water for later use."

Seems like NIH indicates that we can take liberty with these Pentasa capsules as needed.

Cheers

(can't wait to have enough posts to place urls in my text!)

Well, that's good to know. Thanks, CDVet. Whether I'd be able to deal with swallowing a gazillion beads I don't know but it's good to know it's a possibility. Desperate times call for desperate measures! :D