• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa dosage

dave13

Forum Monitor
My GI prescribed 500mg twice a day.I was curious,why not 250mg four times a day? If it is time released would four smaller doses help get the full benefit,verses two larger doses? Does it matter?

Just curious.I'll ask my GI,thought I'd see what other crohnies thought as well.

I also take 4 500mg pills twice daily. I could switch it up and take 2 500mg pills four times a day, but it is very hard for me to remember, and I feel like all I do is swallow pills. My GI said it really doesn't matter what I choose, as long as I get the full dose in. I think it's just a matter of getting enough Pentasa in your body...

theOcean

I used to take 4000mg, originally was taking it as 4 x 500mg twice a day but I never really found a difference.

That said, I'm also probably not the best example since it was never effective for me. Oops.

dave13

Forum Monitor
thanks for the replies.I would rather take two doses a day,than four.Less chance of forgetting a dose.

I guess I still have trouble wrapping my head around the release into my body.Four lower mg doses seems to better than two higher mg doses.I'll try not to over think it.I wont worry about the doses and hope that pentasa works for me. :smile:

Fingers crossed it helps you out. I know that Pentasa is considered a low horse power drug for IBD, but in all honesty it keeps me out of the hospital. It has helped me control my Crohn's more than biologics and steroids, and when I tried to wean off of it a few months ago I had a bad mini-flare. Pentasa really does help me, so don't get discouraged.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Thanks Essieluv.I started taking pentasa yesterday.I would very much like to stay out of the hospital and stay in remission! I'm taking 500mg twice a day and I will hope for the best. :smile: