• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa granules seen in stool!

Hi Everyone,

We can see the pentasa granules in my son's poop! I broke one open just to make sure and it is definitely the inside of the pentasa tablet. He said that has been there for a long time. Does this mean he is not getting the medicine? No wonder he flared if that is the case. Perhaps meds are still getting in there but this seems concerning. Has anyone had this?

Thanks,
Nancy

Artisan105

Yondaime
Hi Everyone,

We can see the pentasa granules in my son's poop! I broke one open just to make sure and it is definitely the inside of the pentasa tablet. He said that has been there for a long time. Does this mean he is not getting the medicine? No wonder he flared if that is the case. Perhaps meds are still getting in there but this seems concerning. Has anyone had this?

Thanks,
Nancy
Don't worry this happens. The doctors sometimes prescribes more than the body can take and some do show in the poop. :) It is common. How many pills or mg is he taking?

kiny

It's nothing, the little capsule is meant to release the content. The fact it's still whole is not an issue.

My son is on Pentasa also and we sometimes see the same thing (though not all the time) and his GI said not to worry. When he was having vomiting spells from his stricture, we'd see them in the vomit as well.

It looks like parasite eggs...yep, it's okay. The underside of the toilet seat might also end up getting purple or red stains on it from urine. It's particularly a problem with females, as urine tends to spray everywhere on the underside of the seat.

Seeing them in the end product is no problem. The capsules are timed release to open in the ileum. Not all the granules are dissolved.