• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa , How long?

Well, I have been taking Pentasa for about 9 years now, along with other meds like prednisone and antibiotics when I flare and Imuran for about 5 years, but the doctor said I will take it for life!!

I never had any side effects with it, but does anybody know if taking Pentasa long term can cause any damage?

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Mazen -
Mesalamine is for long-term use with little side effects. I'd take it if my body wasn't allergic/hypersensitive to it. I was told that long-term use is ok - just keep an eye on kidney stuff, the creatinine levels specifically.

I was told I need to be on 6mp (sister drug to Imuran) for life. Kind of sobering. Unfortunately for me, it's the only maintenance drug that I can tolerate.

farm

Captain Insaneo
I've been on Pentasa for 15 years now. No noticible side effects yet.
Currently I'm taking 500mg 4x daily.

Thanks guys. I currently take 500 mg 6x daily. Also I have regular blood tests for CBC, liver and kidney function every 6 months. I just recently stopped Imuran on my own a month ago as me and my wife will try to have a baby in a few months.

I'm currently more or less in remission, on a low residue diet trying to cut out refined carbs as much as possible (Semi SCD :))and taking a multivit and fish oil.

Mazen, from what I understand, Pentasa isn't absorsbed by the body but is a "wash" along the intestines to keep the inflammation at bay...

I take Pentasa (4 pills 4 x day) along with Entocort.

C

cuddles37

hello there. i am taking 4 grammes of Pentasa a day. i take 4 (500mg) tablets in the morning and then the same again at bedtime. i've also been worrying about taking them for so long. i was diagnosed in March, 2007 with Crohn's Colitis and have been on prednisolone tablets, predfoam enemas, imuran, mercaptopurine, adcal and actonel. i feel so lucky to be copying on the Pentasa alone(since April, 2008). although i am taking the maximum dose which is meant for a relapse. take care everyone.

hi everybody, as you can see from my signature, im on 4 x 500mg of pentasa a day,im noticing my hair is coming away in little clumps when i run my hands through it, the nurse said this could happen. can someone please reassure me that im not going to end up completely bald.:(