• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa Not Dissolving Properly

So, I've been on Pentasa for a little more than a month now. 2 pills, 4 times a day. And I started to notice "seeds" in my stool. Gross, I know, but I got a little concerned, thinking I had a parasite. Then, I found a thread online where someone mentioned that they weren't absorbing/dissolving their Pentasa properly, and they were passing it in bead form.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it normal? Should I bring it up with my doctor?

This happens to me too, but it's maybe one "seed" per pill, and there are a bunch of them in there, so I have no idea. Maybe I'm just missing the rest in my poop. I don't have the money or the ability to go to the doctor right now, so I'm not sure. I just know the Pentasa doesn't seem to be helping that much...

W

Wonk

I would wager that it is Pentasa. I had the same thing, I wasn't sure until I dissolved a pentasa pill under hot water and saw that it appears the exact same way in my stool. Pretty much my stool was riddled with the pentasa fragments or seeds as you called it. It only stopped when I started some naturopathic therapies, which I think settled my ileum down enough to actually absorb the pentasa and allow it to work.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I asked this same question in August.
Here is the link - I got a lot of good answers.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3685

I thought that I had read somewhere that the little "seeds" in the capsules were almost like a bunch of time release pills on their own, and they dissolve at different rates, for better covereage in your guts, so some won't be gone by the time they exit.

T

tjmm01

I am on the same dosing of pentasa and have been for the past five years. It is totally 100% normal to see that in your stool. They do time release at different times so sometimes you will see more and other times less. Again all perfectly normal.