• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa or prednisone

Hi everyone, just wanted to figure something out. I started both pentasa and prednisone, I'm wanting to know does any of these drop your immune system? I had gotten sick last week and fought it off and now I'm really sick again..

Hello spcwife23 about your question does Pentasa or Prednisone drop your immune system?Yes Prednisone thats why you have to slowly come off prednisone.

hi.i wasnt aware pred lowered your immune system as i never felt sick on em,they always made me feel better,i get given them to help the healingin the infection in my bowel....

Astra

Hiya

You could read 10 Things to know about Pred here

http://arthritis.about.com/od/prednisone/a/prednisonefacts.htm

Pentasa is an aminio salicylate and works like an aspirin, an anti inflammatory, it is a prophylactic or preventative med to ward off future flare ups, but you've got to get this current inflammation under control first, the Pred will do that.

I've been taking Pentasa for 5 years and it's been ok
good luck
xxx

I know the infection/flare is more severe when the pred doesn't work right away. It does lower immune function-has to, to quell the inflammation. Take Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D as well. Pred is hard on the bones too. The Vitamin D will help the body to absorb the calcuim and the mag will make you feel happier.

Thank you so much for the information. I'm still fighting this cold for 2 weeks now.. The prednisone is working very well tho, haven't had a flare or any pain since starting it.. Once I feel better I'll head over to buy the multivitamins that was suggested.. Can I ask something, the vitamins, is it better to get the different type of vitamins that was named, or just buy one bottle of multivitamin and that should work?? My doctor said I can start taking vitamin if I want.. So what do you guys do, buy multi, or separate different kinds of vitamins? Ty