• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa Question

I just got put on Pentasa as I am going through a Crohn's flare. Does anyone know how long it takes to start to work? I am also taking Uceris

Oh and I am taking 2 500mg 4 times a day

Thanks in advance!

I don't think pentasa is a drug that will necessarily put you in remission unless you have very mild crohn's. Typically most doctors put people through a course of steroids first, either prednisone or budesonide, two of which I know, then they put you on a maintenance medication.

It is not very common for crohn's disease patients to be on pentasa. It is equivalent to taking aspirin.

I was on pentasa for about 5 years and it did a very good job of keeping me in remission. It just eventually stopped working for me, and I ended up switching to Remicade, and it has been working just as good or even better than pentasa.

When I was first diagnosed I was put on pentasa alone, even though my crohn's was very severe. After around a week my symptoms massively improved but it only helped me for around 3 - 4 weeks before things started getting bad again and I had to go on budesonide. I do believe it is beneficial but most evidence shows that the benefit is minimal. Although it is very safe so my opinion is that you may as well have it since you have nothing to lose.
I still take it to this day and have combined it with every other medication I've had.
You probably want to talk to your doctor about adding some stronger medication though unless your crohn's is very mild.