• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa Questions

i am just about to start Pentasa for the first time, & know virtually nothing about this medication.

does anyone have any experience of using Pentasa suppositories? & if so, did it help?

also, is it similar to Asacol?

thanks.

dingbat i just use the regular pills you swallow and take 8 pills which I believe comes to 4,000mg, it is an anti-inflammatory and from what i understand it is one of the mildest meds and least likely to provide any side effects. good luck, why are you taking it as a suppository?

thanks Hippie :)

taking it in that form because that's where the ulceration is.. well about 7 inches up from there. i can't believe i am talking about my bottom on a public forum!! hahaha

yeah.. the doc did say something about Pentasa being known for good toleration.. i hope he's right!

ah no worries ding - this is a community of people with bottom issues lol. i hope the pentasa works well for you, let us know.

I have been taking Pentasa orally 3g a day for almost 8 years now. Didn't have nay side effects, but I don't know if it is working also. but my doctor said this is a medicine I should take for life !!!

thank you everyone, for your replies :)

so - it is a mild anti-inflammatory. could be just what i need - if it can find its way to the right place! lol

ah well, the hope was good while it lasted :(

used the pentasa for the first time last night, and i had a reaction to it.. was woken up a couple of hours after use, shaking, feeling very faint, sick, dizzy... ho hum. another few weeks wait then i get to tell my GI it is something else i can't tolerate. :(

thanks Pen - i'm not using it again. once my body has given me the stop signal on a drug, i don't push it. i think it is one of those merry-go-round scenarios - i reckon i am over-sensitive to substances because my immune system is playing up, due to the activity of Crohns.. but then when i try to take something to calm the Crohns down, my immune system complains.. sigh.. anyone got any string and a heavy rock? lol

Pentasa, asacol, and other preparations are all mesalamine, the difference is the area they are absorbed in the intenstinal tract. I am on Pentasa CR so that the most of the drug will be adbsorbed by my terminal Illuem. asacol is more for the colon. etc.

hope this helps....

M

MGR5951

When I starting getting treated for Chrons my doctor, a Chrons expert, prescribed Pentasa. For the first couple of days it caused more abdominal pain and gave me temperature. This lasted for a somewhere between 2 - 4 days and then I was fine. I stopped taking it because it simply wasn't enough on its own and I needed stronger medication. I eventually was put on Remicade along with 6mp but still was having problems. My doctor added 8,000 grams of Pentasa a day into my treatment and approximately 3 months later I started feeling the best I had in years. Everyone reacts differently to these medications, but I hope hearing about my experience helps.