• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa side effect Dehydration?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I find that in the mornings I am really dehydrated. I need to drink close to a litre of water each morning, yet I still am dehydrated. Also I get up during the night to go to the washroom a bit, so I do not think it is entirely that I am going to bed dehdrated.

Does anyone else experience this?

I have started to feel it some too... Try drinking lots of poweraid... I'm trying out taking some potassium and time released potassium plus (plus meaning other electrolites) pills... Granted I'm on 60 mg of prednisone right now so my body wants tons of salt... Your body has lots of sodium potassium pumps... So I'm getting in the sodium but not the potassium... Now I am... I think I feel better.. I dunno...

Also try taking the triple chlorophyl pills... They help to make your mouth feel not as dry and they might even make your breath smell plant like.. Just don't take them if you have a senstivite to copper... (they have 2mg of copper in them which is your standard daily dosage)... Always check to make sure your not getting to many minerals in your supplements and also make sure you are getting enough as well... It can mean the difference from feeling blah... To feeling like you want to go out and do something...

So moral of this story make sure your getting your electrolites... Main ones are Calcium, Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium... Because you will still be dehydrated no matter how much fluid you take in if your low on them...

Products for electrolites? I am taking these two GNC products... Thier like 4 bucks a piece so there cheap... Potassium Plus 99 (TR) and Potassium Gluconate 99... I take them both together with some poweraide (lots of ice in the poweraide)... The timed released one has other electrolites in it... The Potassum Gluconate is just potassium... Yes it is fine to take them both together because the non time released one will kick in about an hour and the other will take about 5 hours to dissolve...

Also make sure your not having any diarrhea... Your bodies main source of getting water is sucking it up through the waste passing through the large intestine... Well thats pretty much all the large intestine does is suck up that water and move the unprocessed/unprocessable products out of your body...

If you are having diarrhea then try try taking some probiotics to help clear it up... Fiber can be very tricky in helping with diarrhea... If you have a narrowing somewhere you get in a lot of fiber your going to be hurting for hours or days... Or you might even get a blockage... But don't go overboard with the probiotics... Very much so if you have just gotten off of taking antiboitics while in the hospital... Your body may say hey bacterias back again lets go for round 2 and you might wind up with another flare up...

But as long as your relatively flare free for a month or two you can start taking the probiotics....

Ok I'm ranting again...

Still waiting on meds... I am going to sleep...

I just don't know when...

LOL

X

xrayzerase

i get dehydrated as well--not sure if it is the pentasa or other meds-or the crohn's (?) (no D since pentasa though..so i am sure that helps..)

Right now what I'm doing is seeming to help with me and the deyhdration....

Okays I have no D too and I'm on prednsionse and the pentasa... One thing is to check your sodium intake.. The more sodium you take in (I know you crave salt constatnly when your on predniosne) will in fact make you a lil more dehydrated unless you get in the other electrolites you need...

Today I have felt a lot better...

Since 4 a.m. I have drunk about 3 IBC cream soda's with lots of ice in them..

About 3 or 4 12 oz cups of poweraide, again with lots of ice.

I have taken 2 POTASSIUM PLUS 99 tablets. They are timed released and they have potassium and other electrolites in them. I took one of them in the morning with my morning meds (6 a.m.). And another just about an hour ago. (1 p.m.)

I have taken 1 POTASISUM GLUCUNATE tablet.. I took that at around 10 a.m.
These are non time released and absorb in about 30 min to an hour...

I also took 1 TRIPLE CHLOROPHYLL softgel at 10 a.m. It is just the green pigment from plants in a concetrated format... For some odd reason it helps to keep your mouth moist and your breath smell more plant like... It always seems to help just a little with dehydration too..

I'll let you guys know if I feel dehydrated again...

But I do still have red dry eyes though... But that could be caused by pollon, gras, mold, cat hair or a host of other things...

Hope this helps you...

Also remember if you buy this stuff at GNC and you don't like it then SAVE YOUR RECIEPT... You can bring it back within 30 days and get YOUR FULL money back just so long as their is an apporpiate amount of pill in the bottle for the time elapased... Meaning don't bring back empty bottles and you'll be ok...

Also the return policy is written on the back of the sales reciept but no one ever reads that....

I hope this helps some... It seems to have helped some with me...

Ok cya later,

Daniel

Yupo the mixture of poweraide, and the two different potassium pills, and the triple chlorophyll seem to be doing the job of keeping me well hydrated.. BTW iI never drink just water... I just put lots of ice in my drinks... I only eat water (ice) I don't drink it...

If you want anymore info just post here... You know I'll be around since I can never sleep LOL...

I can't drink water or I get sick... Every drink I take in has to have calories in it... Otherwise my stomach clenches up and demands food....

When I'm not on the corticosteriods I can drink water all the live long day... But while I'm on them my body says, "How many calories can we take in and break apart without causing us to have major pain/blockage and still get in all the nutrients we need to live..." Well it is more like FEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD MEEEEEE!!!
It doesn't care if the food will hurt me or not but I do.... Ohhh the wonderful battle of brain vs stomach vs steriods....

Kev

My fluid levels seem particularly difficult to balance... Input & output is never
stable... errr, predictable. I force myself to drink 64 fluid ounces daily. I d'nt drink any carbonated beverages (a. bubbles arent' good for sick bowels AND its full of either sugar or artificial sweeteners b. there's a link between these and increase in appetite, either it fills stomach w gas causing chain reaction of increased stomach acid production OR artificial sweeteners fool the brain to expect sugar. Neither item a or b is good for a body, healthy or otherwise)

I've also started to watch my sodium intake... I'm no expert on the effects of higher sodium levels (but then who is, the experts keep changing sides).. but I do accept that elevated sodium causes high blood pressure, increases the risk of heart attack & stroke (something a young fellow like yourself has no immediate need to concern himself with) but it does add pressure on the kidneys (I dunno why) YET it also causes fluid/water retention (dunno why).
Caffiene is one of those things where the experts keep changing sides... It is linked to plenty of bad things, esp if you don't use it frequently in high doses.
It does affect the bladder... and it's one of those things commonly found in sources where you wouldn't expect it (like that good old mountain dew). One of the things I would suggest is that you get your doc to order routine blood work, etc., to periodically check for imbalances of essential components. Have
the lab run the gamut... it will only require an extra vial or two.. the other is to see if something else may be creeping up on you indirectly caused by IBD or your treatment regimen. I typcially drink a lot of unsweetened fruit juice because I'm not allowed fresh fruit, etc, in my diet yet, and I always include cranberry juice... It keeps the kidneys/bladder flushed out as a preventative to dev. more kidney stones (been there/done that, u don't want to go there)

I've always experienced the 'sudden dry mouth' syndrome, but I don't think its associated with dehydration... I get it as early warning sign of a flare-up.
(regardless of how well or poorly I'm hydrated at the time).. Saliva is just another of our bodies secretions, and the glands are controlled by the brain, the stomach, and (SURPRISE) the pancreas... which is connected to the bile ducts, which is connected to the digestive tract... and so on and so on. So its possible that, either thru the brain or the digestive tract, its a reaction to a physical condition or neural trigger that we otherwise just don't notice yet.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Come to think of it, I have been dehydrated a lot in the past few months too. Hmmm. Just thought I was hitting too much salt or something. Interesting because dehydration triggers migraines for me. Eh, we all should drink more, right? I like water flavored by a bit of decaf. tea, not strong, just flavored water.

Limiting side effects
You can help limit side effects by taking Pentasa exactly as prescribed and by reporting any problems promptly to your doctor. Drink plenty of fluids.
Full article can be found here qoute is near bottom of page...

http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/drugs/pentasa.html

Remember DO NOT just drink water you need your other electrolites.. If you are on the prednisone your body will crave tons of salt... Your body has tons of Sodium/Potassium pumps in the body.... In order for those pumps to work you need to have BOTH sodium and potassium....American food,drinks,etc are all rich in sodium so you do not ever have to worry about taking in an extra sodium... At least generally you shouldn't... As a crohn's patient you are probably not getting in many supplments and/or foods that have potassium in them... Combine this lack of potassium with high intake of sodium and you WILL get dehydrated....

So remember to drink your water don't go overboard on the salt (I know you want to) and take a potassium supplement and/or eat foods high in potassium... Otherwise you will be dehydrated no matter how much water you drink...

Another thing that makes HUGE difference is where you live at in the world...
This directly affects the amount of moustiure in the air and how much miosture you are losing due to presperation...

For example here in Mobile, AL we always have at least 100% humidity all year long... That means I am literally breathing in water with every breath...

In a dry state with no humidity though you have the exact opposite efffect...
You are losing tons of moisture by just breathing not to mention all the water your body is going through due to meds and to just keep your body functioning...

It may seem like it wouldn't be that much of a difference but trust me go from someplace very dry and not (Arizona maybe?) to someplace very humid and hot... The heat and heat index might be identical... But your moisture level is gonna change DRASTICLY... Here you can drink about 2-3 litters of water over the course of the day while you are working outtside all day long (8 hours give or take) .... This amount of water will keep you perfectly hydrated... Try working in the desert outdoors and only drinking 2-3 litters of water.. Trust me you'll notice the differnce. Well actually you may not because you will probably pass out due to a heat stroke/dehydration. But then again I could be wrong...

I just know I have lived here in the southeast portion of the USA all my life and for the past 4.5 years have been right next to a bay (that's why it is always 100% humidity here) Also the city was built over a swamp too... Yes we are above sea level... The people that came after the french (for the most part) built the rest of the city above sea level....

USELESS RANT BY ME BELOW!!!

FYI We (USA) bought Mobile, AL and New Orleans, Lousiana from the french... They were at least smart enough to build thier portions of the city ABOVE SEA LEVEL... It's just the ground here (porbably in New Orleans too) that is above sea level is not exactly stable.... It kinda floats so you have to drill down until you hit bed rock... and then lay down a stone/concret whatever slab... Then you can put down your pylons and began building your frame... Otherwise your house/building is just gonna ever so slowly sink into the ground.. I think I said that right... I'm not a construction worker or surveryor so I may just be partial right... Either way that info is compeletly useless unless you plain on building a house in an area that rains a lot and is built over a swamp... Ohhh btw during the "offiical" summer here 99% of the time it rains every single day for at least about 5-15 min... The unoffical summer is March-December, Jan-Feb the coldest it ever gets is around 32 F or 0
celcius... The hotest it gets here is around 110 degress Farenhiet with about a 125 heat index and 100% humidity... You literally walk outside for 2 mins and you covereed in sweat since it can not evaporate due to all the water already in the air...

Ok I'm done ranting about this... Time for soething different...

Also feel free to correct me on any mistakes you see that I make... I am not perfect... I do not know it all.. Sometimes it sounds like I know it all but I don't... So feel free to correct me... I hate to give advice to people that is incorrect...

Ok cya later,

Daniel

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Gotta love California! None of that humidity, or hurricanes, or tornadoes. Yes, yes, I know, we have earthquakes, but if you live in the center of the state like I do, it's an earthquake-free zone. San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Mammoth are too far away to do much damage, even at larger levels. We also have a pretty active economy. Oh, house prices are rather high, but in Central CA it is still liveable! We have DRY heat. 112 is about the highest ever, but our air conditioners pound away and we are great. One can actually function at 112. Anyway, gotta love California!

Kev

Yeah, I checked out that link before... I don't take Pentasa, I take Salofalk, just the same meds in a slightly different coating... Basically they're all part of the 5-ASA family... My version is manufactured by Dr Falk Co. with HQ in Germany and then licensed out to other 'national' drug manufacturers to produce in countrys where they limit/license the import of medicines (typically the G8 nations) What am I getting at? I suffer(ed) from severe migraines at the end of each day. I'd no idea what exactly was causing these to occur. I was taking my 8 X 500 mg pills daily exactly as the printout from the pharmacy told me to... with plenty of water and with food.. But when I went to the Dr Falk website, their instructions were slightly different. They say take with plenty of water AND 1 hour before eating... So, it's with food,
but not immediately with food. Following their advice, my end of day migraine
is now much better..., usually I can get to sleep without taking anything for it
(Before it was sooo bad, I couldn't put my head down, it hurt to touch it to a pillow... even my jaws ached so bad I couldn't chew or swallow, even drink).

I guess my longwinded harrangue is just to get this point across to you all. If you are experiencing side effects, perhaps the 1st place to turn via the 'net' is the official website of the company that manufacturers the drugs you take

See if their advice/procedure/methods are the same as what you've been told

If not, try their methods... See your doctor, and list 'everything' (including other meds, OTC meds, herbal supplements, etc..) you are taking with your meds... Run it by your doc, and your pharmasist. One of them might see an interaction that is making side effects worse, or recommend a way to solve them... perhaps modifying dosage, changing to another brand, whatever...

How to get the best and fastest emergancy room care..

Again bear with my spelling and gammer kills cause they weren't the best to deal with.. Plus when you are taking calium based meds they a tendence to decrease a bit...

This is if you are going to be admited to the ER the normal way and not by the paramedics...

You not a hero... If your going to to the hospital you are sick very sick.. If you are like me you would have been vomiting/dry heaving for about 3+ hours
before you even leave the house... Maybe even several hours or days... When I dry heave my whole body tightens up and goes into bassicly convulsions... So by the time my brother (he generally takes me to the hospital) gets me in the truck I am about ready to pass out and I can not walk on my own...

So get whomever to drive you up to the ER front door.. Get them to help you into a wheel chair...

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THESE THINGS with you or that the person driving and sitting with you at the ER waiting room has these things... (in my case it's generally my brother)... I will go into further detail as to why you need these items and what to do with these items.

1) Drivers Liseance
2) Insurance Card
3) Less than $20 in cash (You need this is $5's and 1's) No $20's
4) A credit card/or debit card that can act as a debit card
5) A trash can
6) Small thermal blanket

1) Drivers Liseance

This is standard it does not matter what is on your liseance just so long as you have one... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE them more than one address... The adress you give them is the adress all bills will go to...It can be different from the address on the liseance... They WILL say that it won't be a problem to have a primary adress and then a secondary billing address... And that t,hey can do this in the computer but just like anything the more info you give them the more stuff will get screwed up... So only give them the adresss you want the bill sent too... Phone numbers you can give them... As your primary phone number give them the number of the place you are currently living at or the one you use the most (such as a cell phone)..

They have about 5 or more different contact numbers for me at every diferent hospital I have ever been in... Let's see that would about 6 or 7 different ones (hospitiles not hospitle visits)... But my address is the same for all of them... My insurance is under my dad and my dad pays for my medical bills.. My parents are never going to move away from their house. So I don't ever have to worry about my medical bills, them getting payed, or dealing with the insurance claims... Until I get my own job security, and my own insurance. No I Do not live with my Mom and Dad (they live 180 miles east of here) But, we both use the same credit union so he (my da) can transfer money into my account whenever he wants too.

If you give them two different addresss then I'm gonna laugh at you and say I told you, so as they combine the two adresss and then they try to send that off into limbo land to get it paid... You will then get phone calls from collection agencies demanding payments on bills that you never received sicne the bill got sent off into postal limbo..

Trust me I've been there all of these things I'm telling you are from 1st hand experince not second or third hand...

2) Insurance Card

(if you don't have insurance I'm sorry but your playing russuian roulette with that hospital) If you do not have insurance you are more likely to get care at a relgiously funded hospital. They may even be able to treat you for free or give you a mjor deduction in your medical costs... Just depends on the hospital... Example where in the south we have "Baptist Health" hospitals that are partial funded by the

NEVER go to a college hospital and NEVER go to a hospital that is funded by priviate investors.. They will always charge you full and
The hospitals there are there to make money... Not lose it so they will mmore than likely boot you out the door unless your gonna just die right then and thier... They will also NEVER cross off your medical bills even if you can not afford them... Again they are in the buisness of making money...

Also college hospitals are guess what? Full of medical and nursing students...
And yes they will make the same mistakes over and over again on you because everytime you go in thier will be a new set of student doctors/nurses.. Plus the only nurses/docs with lots of experince are having their handsful teaching the students...

I had a great doctor that I got along with great at a college hospital... She was in her felllowship though so once she compeleted that she left... I tried staying with that college hospital somre more but it just wasn't worth it...

In choosing a GI doctor you must choose one that is both compatent and experinced AND that is located in a good hospital with a good nursing staff...

I'm lucky now... I have a a very good experinced Doc now and plus the hospital he is lisceanced too is literally right across the street from where I live... If I got the right room and the trees weren't in the way then I could see my house from one of the windows in the hospital...

3)A trash can - with a several plastic trash bags (I just put walmart bags in mine) covering it... unless you just want to throw away that garbage can.. It's up to you....

You need this to dry heave into... Save all of your dry heaving if you can until you ge tinto the ER waiting room... Do not hold back your dry heaving spells... Try to make them sounds as gut wrenching and as painful as you can... (You probably won't have to add to much emphasis on that if your like me when you go to the er)

If you think this is selfish or wrong then you obvisouly do not know how an ER works or the patients they receive there..

The ER gets 3 kinds of patients

A) People that don't have insurance or are just to damned lazy to go to the doctor. These are non life threatning situations that in 80% of all these cases could be solved at a docs office unless they neeed an x-ray... Again non life threatning....

B) Crazy people these people are literally crazy they may seem like they are suffering from physical symptoms they may just look crazy thye may look normal.... Either way the problem is physciatric.... Again non life threatiing...
Just really damned annoying...

C) Actual sick people.... Sometimes these people are more sick and in pain then you sometimes they are not.... The triage nurse will determine which ones should go back first...

4) A small thermal blanket... Go by Wal-mart or wherever right now if you do not already have one and by a small thermal blanket.. Why a thermal blanket and just a small one? It traps heat very very very well.. Plus you can get a small one... So that way your not luggign around a big blanket from home into the ER waiting room. You can just have a nice small thermal blanket drapper oer the knees of your strether... And sinceit is smalll you can take it on or off as you like. Also since it is thermal it doesn't let loose much body heat at all so if you wan tto get warm you can get warm quick and not have to worry about any kind of eletric device or ice hot patch.. Make sure you have one of these and you know where it is for when you go to the hospital.
Why? Because hospitals don't give out blankets in the ER waiting room... So you may get very very very cold... Once your inside the actual ER and in a bed you may or may not need it ... But you might be waiting out in the ER waiting room for up to 6+ hours so it is a very very wise invest ment to bring that blanket..

[5]5) The money is thier just in case you need some pettycash for whatever...

[6] The credit card is thier in case you have to make a payment or if you want anything ordered by phone (Like me I always order 3 regular breadsticks with just cheese sauce from papa's john's... Thier bread sticks are jus that backed bread no cheese no extra flavor nothing.... So it is a great starter carb fora low residue diet...

Yahhhh I think I may be able to sleep noe ficing to take 2 more 1 mg adavian and 2 more resterall...

If not I'll just back here in a few more hours in on even further zombie state than I am nows...

Okays cya guys later.... And let me know if some of typing is illegable or misleading because again I'm not working at 100% brain poer here...

Ok cya later

Daniel