• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa stains

:just registered today after reading problems with red/ purple staining on toilet. I too was worried to fInd that after being diagnosed with U C and being prescribed Pentasa that worrying stains appeared on the toilet after use. Today I broke a Pentasa tablet into a glass of water and left if for 2 hours -- result -- nothing happened !!! I then introduced a drop of bleach -- result -- immediately the water turned a dark reddish purple colour!!!!
So nothing untoward with me and no more worries !!! In future the toilet will be cleaned using water only and no cleaning agents that obviously Pentasa reacts with.
It would have been a lot easier if the manufacturer could have mentioned this in the " side effects "
Hopefully this may stop someone else worrying - just try it yourself.

Last edited:
Hi, thought ide share my experience also.
I recently got home from hospital and my housemate found these purple stains on and underneath the seat. No cleaning liquid can remove. Does anyone have any suggestions? And why does pentasa cause blood like colouring from the bowl to the bowl and stay forever!???

Hi, thought ide share my experience also.
I recently got home from hospital and my housemate found these purple stains on and underneath the seat. No cleaning liquid can remove. Does anyone have any suggestions? And why does pentasa cause blood like colouring from the bowl to the bowl and stay forever!???
I think this is due to bleach getting onto the plastic seat when the toilet is flushed, nothing to do with meds. There is a product like a sponge that you can rub these stains off with but for the life of me I cant remember what they're called sorry.