• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentassa

So, I'm off the prednisone a couple of days now and on Pentassa...How long does it take to work? And, maybe I'm off prednisone to early--have have pain...Its in my pouch and tummy area...What do you all think? Sue

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Did your doc just give you the Pentasa without tapering and Pentasa at the same time? Most docs put you on something while tapering and Prednisone is for moderate to severe, and Pentasa is mild to moderate.

I just started Pentasa today and I am starting to feel better, but just started eating too.

So now you are just on Pentasa, nothing else? Hope your tummy feels better!

When I'm on prednisone, I'm tapered off while taking 9 tablets of pentasa daily. I think if you are experiencing pain while being tapered off of prednisone, and while using pentasa as well, you should let the doc know. Pentasa, for me anyways, would never do the trick on its own if I had already been tapered off the prednisone. If you are not feeling better, and you are already tapered off the prednisone, I would guess that you are probably still flaring, and that the pentasa won't help much right now. It's for mild disease, and in my experience, never helped me. I was put on imuran, and now I am waiting for remicade.

Thats what scares me. I'm newly diagnosed and I had to have my colon removed from untreatable colitis. None of the meds worked for me. I hope that Pentasa works...I hope that Imuran works for you...I'm just scared of being one of those people where meds don't work, since I had such a hard experience with colitis. I do believe I am still flaring...I have ulcers in my throat and "achey" pains in my J Pouch. But, its tolerable. Sue

Its been about a week and I'm still waiting for the Pentasa to work. Was taking 4 a day and it seem to stop the pain in my stomach, now I'm taking 4 four times a day and I'm getting pain in my stomach. It hasn't help yet. But should in another week...
There should be other drugs to help if it doesn't :)

Swirl, my pain is getting worse...I get so paranoid when the pain shows up...Jetta you out there...You better? How are you swirl? Sue