• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pepto Bismol instead of Devrom?

nogutsnoglory

I'm wondering if I can take Pepto Bismol instead of Devrom for stool odor. I know both are similar but one is bismuth subsalicylate while the other is bismuth subgallate.

Both of these are closely related to aspirin which can cause bleeding in IBD.

So will Pepto work and is it safe?

Nyx

I use Pepto every day to keep my stools as thick as possible. I've never had a problem with using it. The only thing to keep in mind is that it makes your stool very dark.

nogutsnoglory

I'm just concerned about the fact that its kind of like aspirin. Have you found Pepto to help with pouch odor? Is it better than Imodium for diarrhea?

Nyx

It doesn't help with odor at all, but I have a colostomy not an ileo....not sure if the smell is better or worse for either of those. I don't get diarrhea either (unless I'm sick), the worst I usually get is what I call "pudding poops". My stool for the most part is fully formed, like normal poops. I take the Pepto to keep the pudding poops at bay. The pudding poops are very thick, but they pancake around my stoma and it's really annoying.

I would be very cautious using Pepto for anything other than instructed. Pepto is basically liquid pink aspirin and and can lead to problems with thinning blood as well as liver damage.