• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Periods?

periods?

has anyone else had any problems with their periods?
i was taken off the contraceptive pill back in january due to the blood clots in my leg being found, but since then i have had no periods, not even a tiny one.

C

Clair

Hi

I am not sure how old you are but not having had a period for such a long time in someone who should normally have them (ie, you are not pregnant or have gone through the menopause) is called Amenohrea. This can happen when you loose too much weight....something that can be quite common when you have crohns. I would suggest though that you go and see your Ob/Gyn. Best of luck :)

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
After quitting contraception, it is not uncommon for women to have a hard time getting back to normal with ovulation and / or menstruation. However, it could be more than that, too.

I have had problems along those lines as well. The only time I actually have a period is if I take some entocort or other steroid. I have had a Gyn and my GP both examine me physically and hormonally. They said it's OK. Weight, stress, meds, and crohn's can all affect it and it really isn't the most necessary to have periods all the time.

Having said that, it's important you have your GP or Gyn review your case, test you hormonally, and perform any physical exams just to keep track of things. It's good to rule out anything unnatural and then let your body do it's own thing after that.

thanks cara, ive got an appointment with my consultant on thursday so im gunna bring it up in conversation then.