• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Peristaltic Waves

Looking for any information on something called "Peristaltic Waves."

My son has recent episodes of severe abdominal pain, vomiting and retching. These episodes came in waves (over the course of 10 hours), initially over an hour apart and, at the end, occurring more frequently, like 30 minutes or less apart.

I'm wondering if something other than a crohn's flare (created by either inflammation or a blockage) can cause these symptoms occurring in waves.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Ok lets see if I can make this simple....

Peristalsis is a normal/natural muscular contraction of the lining of the stomach wall. It helps to break down food and mix it with secreted fluids to aid further breakdown and absorption.

So technically it could be classed as a persitaltic wave as it occurs in "waves" to break down the food.

A persitaltic wave also naturally occurs throughout the intestine as the smooth muscle contracts to aid the "food" or "matter" to pass along it.

It is possible that these waves occur VERY strongly and so can cause pain, nausea and vomiting when we wouldnt normally be aware of them. Think of it as the difference between a small gentle ripple on the sea and a storm at sea and the difference in the height of the waves.

So if the "wave" is strong in the stomach it will expel the contents. If it is strong in the abdomen then will make him double over. The reason there is severe pain with either area is because all have nerve endings involved registering the intense wave or contraction and it is travelling at a faster rate than normal.

Hopefully the docs there will come up with something to ease his distress and symptoms.

Hope that helps.

Keep us posted.

soupdragon69 said:

Peristalsis is a normal/natural muscular contraction of the lining of the stomach wall. It helps to break down food and mix it with secreted fluids to aid further breakdown and absorption.

So technically it could be classed as a persitaltic wave as it occurs in "waves" to break down the food.

A persitaltic wave also naturally occurs throughout the intestine as the smooth muscle contracts to aid the "food" or "matter" to pass along it.

It is possible that these waves occur VERY strongly and so can cause pain, nausea and vomiting when we wouldnt normally be aware of them. Think of it as the difference between a small gentle ripple on the sea and a storm at sea and the difference in the height of the waves.

So if the "wave" is strong in the stomach it will expel the contents. If it is strong in the abdomen then will make him double over. The reason there is severe pain with either area is because all have nerve endings involved registering the intense wave or contraction and it is travelling at a faster rate than normal.

Hopefully the docs there will come up with something to ease his distress and symptoms.

Hope that helps.

Keep us posted.
Thanks so much for your response. You sound like you have a medical background.

One thing that I am wondering is whether a case of food poisoning, or a stomach virus, could produce symptoms similar to symptoms of a crohns flare.

soupdragon69 said:

Hope that helps.

Keep us posted.
You mention that if the wave is strong in the abdomen it will make him double over (he was doubled over). Is the abdomen the small intestine and the colon? Does it include the terminal ilium?

Thanks.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
I am not of medical background at all - however I am a qualified cardiac/general and trauma intensive care nurse. I have also taught medical, nursing and other professionals clinical "hands on" skills. One thing I dont have however is all the answers! ;-)

I would agree with you that a stomach virus or food poisoning etc could produce symptoms similar to flare if for instance your son suffers from diahorrea during a flare normally and is in remission but develops diahorrea and vomiting (as an example).

The abdomen is the area below the chest but above the pelvic area that contains all other organs outside the lung and heart and brain etc. So yes it includes the small intestine, colon (including terminal ileum), also pancreas, liver, gall bladder, stomach, spleen as examples.

Hope this helps. Sorry didnt answer sooner have been at work 12hrs.

Last edited:
soupdragon69 said:
I am not of medical background at all - however I am a qualified cardiac/general and trauma intensive care nurse. I have also taught medical, nursing and other professionals clinical "hands on" skills. One thing I dont have however is all the answers! ;-)

I would agree with you that a stomach virus or food poisoning etc could produce symptoms similar to flare if for instance your son suffers from diahorrea during a flare normally and is in remission but develops diahorrea and vomiting (as an example).

The abdomen is the area below the chest but above the pelvic area that contains all other organs outside the lung and heart and brain etc. So yes it includes the small intestine, colon (including terminal ileum), also pancreas, liver, gall bladder, stomach, spleen as examples.

Hope this helps. Sorry didnt answer sooner have been at work 12hrs.
Hi. Thanks, it does help. What I'm learning is that a lot there is a lot of overlap of the symptoms of unrelated ailments, unfortunately.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
I agree with you completely. Its a bit like having what you think is a cold and then realising down the line its the flu. Both start with similar symptoms but its not til things develop more you realise its not just a cold.

Its also why we end up with so many tests and constant physical review so doctors can obtain a more comprehensive picture. We all know the frustration of going through tests and waiting for answers and how they take time. To have accurate and appropriate treatment however we must put up with all this and take into account not one of us is perfect so will have other problems from time to time that surface. Some stay and some go away.

The above is why its important to be rational and open minded. I know its easier said than done because it is your son that you are trying to help but you and he will get there in the end.

Thinking of you all.