• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Hi All

Does anyone have any experience of applying for PIP? If so, how easy was it to apply for and was the individual interview stressful? Overall was the amout of money you receive worth the hassle?

Many thanks

Tom

I was on PIP from when it started in 2013 until september 2015. The assesment was ok but they put a lot of lies, I ended up getting just enough points for standard rate mobility and got £22 week. I should have asked for more but couldnt go through the stress of it. But in september I had my crohns diagnosis ontop of my other 7 diagnoses illnesses and my health had got worse, needed more care and have to use a wheelchair sometimes now too so asked for more help. They did assesment, once again they lied a lot and I was made to feel like a liar and putting it on! Result was they stopped my benefit and took everything away. Asked for a reconsideration, it went to tribunal (like a court) and they still said no! Honestly it was like being infront of a firing line. I will never put myself through it ever again. So now I live on absolutely nothing. I dont have the health to go through that stress again so im going to wait until next year to try again from afresh. ESA has a much higher success rate if you can qualify. My mums partner has spinal problems and cancer and has been given £45 a week on PIP (daily living component) but theyve said he has no mobility problems.. go figure! Lol.

I have Pip standard rate mobility and higher rate support. I put loads of hospital letters and results and discharge summaries in with my application . I had a medical which was nerve wracking though straight forward. PIP is not designed for IBD- doesn't take into account the incontinence and vomiting etc unless you need someone else to clean you up- your partner changing the bed every night does not count- only if they have to help you get clean.