• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Phase 2 trial of antibiotic results in significant remission rates

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/731851

Still fairly early into the study, but what promising news!

Apparently, you need to subscribe to this link's site.

Without posting the entire article (copyright issues), here's the first few paragraphs.

November 3, 2010 — An antibiotic currently indicated for hepatic encephalopathy and traveler's diarrhea has shown promise in the treatment of Crohn's disease (CD).

RETIC-03, a large phase 2 trial presented at the 18th Annual United European Gastroenterology Week in Barcelona, Spain, showed that rifaximin-EIR (extended intestinal release) was able to achieve clinical remission of Crohn's sequelae in up to 62% of patients out to 12 weeks, according to study investigator, Herbert Lochs, MD, from the Medical University in Innsbruck, Austria.

Last edited:
I am curious why the extended intestinal release part? This antibiotic is a non-absorbed antibiotic used to treat traveler's diarrhea etc, so why would you need to extend its release? Maybe they want it to start working only way down the GI tract?

twisted data and dodgey hope...

Still fairly early into the study, but what promising news!
Hi GJG,
I enjoy when you post curious and informative web-findings.
I've read a bunch of worthwhile info from your links.
However:
Deeper investigation suggests this particular study is not nearly as promising as it appears upon first-blush.

If you like, you can see my longer response to a similar CDF thread here:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=14028
post #9

keep up the good postings,
and thanks,
Walt

ps I fear we must mine a boatload of ore to find any rare gems...
take care

Last edited: