• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Physical exercise to go along with proper nutrition

KWalker

For those of you who exercise, what do you do? Although I've been eating a lot healthier, I want to take it further to become even healthier. For me, this is more of a maintenance thing rather than trying to achieve a specific goal. I'm not looking to become the next Hulk Hogan, but just want to be more physically fit. Because of this, I'm not really considering spending money on a gym membership.

I recently started yoga at home after reading the potential benefits for crohns but was wondering what else I could do on top of that. I live next to a nature trail and considered jogging as well, but I am unsure if that would cause me to lose too much weight, or if it could even have detrimental effects on the gut because of the stress put on the body. I walk everyday with my dog, but almost everybody walks so I don't consider that much exercise.

Basically, I want to become more active. I thought about joining a soccer league again but I just don't have time for it so I'm looking for stuff I can do that isn't time consuming and something anybody can do.

If you guys have any yoga advice, or other general advice about types of things I can do I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Speak for yourself about Mr. Hogan, ...

Ok, here is my current activity level:

1. Every Monday 12-1pm: Yoga for men - firm pays for that and the teacher is great, it's not the standard yoga, but the tougher one. That type of yoga is basically the one where you are on the brink of sweating, but you don't really sweat that much that you need shower afterwards.

2. Two times per week, gym, normally running up to 45min (real running with sweating - up to 10km), 5km rowing (20min) and then a bit of weigh work out (hate that part, but 15-20min of that is ok).

3. Daily or nearly daily 5min morning push-up + abdominal muscle training, following the advice of Mr. internet that you just need 5min per day for that... well, I think you need more for a six pack, but hey, 5min is 5min.

4. Occasional football, tennis and a 20km trecking/"military walking" tour.

5. Additionally, now that's warmer I go for 45min runs in the morning or evening, 1-2 week.

I don't think running really reduces my weigh, especially because I am hungry afterwards and eat more than without running. Never experienced any stress symptoms on my gut from running, quite on the contrary. Although if I had inflammation in the past, then I would not run.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
KW, I exercise every day. I haven't really lost any weight with it, but I have definitely converted some flab into muscle. I lift weights every other day - that's my favorite type of exercise. :) I like feeling strong and pushing my body to its breaking point (in a healthy way). I know I lost a lot of muscle mass from being ill/on steroids, and I'm sure I've lost some bone mass from being on so many reflux meds, so weight lifting is important to me to build up my bones & muscles again.

On the days I'm not lifting weights, I either do cardio or yoga. I have arthritis in both hips, and I find jogging to be quite painful, so that's out for me. However, I can ride my bike just fine without any hip pain, so I usually do that. If it's a nice day I'll ride my bike outside, or if it's not nice (like all winter) I ride the exercise bike indoors. I'm not a big fan of cardio, but I know it's good for heart health, and I know I should do it so I just make myself do it. On the days I don't do cardio, I do yoga. I'm not super good at it, I just do it on the Wii Fit, but I like it and I feel like I get good benefit out of it too. I've never been flexible, but since I've been doing yoga semi-regularly, I can at least touch my toes now. It seems to help my arthritis too.

Exercise - any type of exercise - makes me feel happier and less stressed. I know it's done a lot of good for me and I feel like it's one of the things that's helping to keep me in remission. And it's the only thing where I feel like I'm actively physically fighting the illnesses inside me - taking medications and eating healthy feels so passive in comparison. I feel like a warrior woman when I'm in the gym. :p That's kind of silly but true. I am rambling again. I hope that helped a little bit anyway!

KWalker

haha, I attempted the whole "get j4cked" before but it was too much work/expensive/time consuming for the gains I was seeing. The yoga I'm doing is 30 mins twice a day (morning/night). I was looking into pushups/sit ups as well but have been reading contradictory advice whether or not it's even worthwhile and I actually have a rowing machine in my apartment building as well.

EDITED to add Cat-a-Tonic: You're funny! lol. I was hoping you would reply though and I was actually going to have a look at yours and Holly's threads soon. I have a decent bike as well but was concerned about irritating my abscess as well so thought I would try jogging first. I haven't decided though.

The yoga I do is at home from two DVDs we have because Mariah has been doing yoga for quite awhile now. The one I've been using is a Rodney Yee yoga for beginners but when I first started I really realized how out of shape/unflexible I was lol.

Last edited:
For exercise some of the activities I do are:

weight lifting
walks around the block
biking around the neighborhood
and tennis a couple times a week.

If I find the energy I'm likely to sign up for a self defense class in the future. I have a friend that has greatly enjoyed karate of late, and has me interested in getting involved.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That Rodney Yee guy is intimidating! My mom gave me one of his DVDs once and I couldn't even get past the menu, it showed him in all these crazy poses that I knew I'd never be able to pretzel myself into so I didn't even bother to try. :p The Wii Fit is more my speed, there are a couple of challenging poses on there (I usually fall over when I attempt the Dance Pose) but for the most part it's good without assuming I'm a contortionist.

I think Holly does more cardio than I do. She also seems to prefer free weights, and I like the weight machines. She's only working out 1 day a week right now since she started her new job though - I'm working out every day for about an hour a day. I started slowly though - when I started working out, I was lifting weights 2 days a week, and I was doing very light weights as I wasn't sure how the tummy would react. It went well so I moved up to 3 days a week and stayed there for awhile before moving up to eventually just working out every single day. I gradually increased the amount of weights I was lifting too. Same with cardio, I started out just trying to pedal the bike for 5 minutes, then 10, then 15, 30, and now I'm up to being able to do an hour on the exercise bike on a hill program. So long story short, start slowly and if something hurts or if symptoms occur, don't push it - try something else. I think you'll do fine though. :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
A few weeks back I started a bit of cardio ranging from 15-30min every few days to readjust my body to the idea of exercising again after my flare at the start of this year.

Today, I am on day 11 of the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred....my first serious attempt at getting fitter/healthier this year. I feel I am at a point physically where this is possible. It's 25min, 7 days a week of interval training (strength/cardio/abs).

I lost a lot of muscle/strength and endurance with that flare. This routine has so far proven to be a good start to getting back into basic shape for me. After 7 days I already felt an increase in endurance. I'm already noticing a bit of a visual difference as well.

I also signed up for a spring kickball league I do weekly until the end of June.

On top of running around here and there during the week and an occasional walk or cardio exercise tacked on when I am feeling ambitious, I think I've got a fairly healthy schedule going on for myself and my needs.

I have also gone back to a bit more cleaner eating since starting all of this. I know I wouldn't have been able to accomplish much of what I have these last two weeks without it.

KWalker

Beach, I've actually been considering signing up for some sort of Taekwondo or self defense classes, etc. Again though, I'm just not sure if I can commit to it and it's not the cheapest so I'd hate to waste it. It's definitely on my list of things I'd like to do eventually.

Cat- Yes, Rodney is insane. I like this DVD because it's a beginner DVD so it's nice and slow and more of an informative video too while doing the poses where as I have another one that's just like "do this, then this, then this, done" which is definitely not where I am anywhere near capable of yet. It was funny though, with one of the poses you stand up and then bend over and basically just rest your hands on the ground. Rodney was like "you can even extend and rest your head on the earth" while basically folded over and I'm struggling to each touch my knees lol.

CC- Jillian Michaels intimidates me lol. She's pretty much the female Chuck Norris!

You guys have encouraged me :) It may sound dumb too but I've even noticed a big difference with how I feel just from substituting drinks (pop, juice, etc) for water and really increasing my water intake.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Check out Youtube channels for free videos.

Just last night I found a channel called BeFit. Great stuff on there! All the big name clips and some full feature DVDs too (including your friend Jillian :p )

And yeah, at first I could barely do the jumping jacks when I started. But because I do her exercises every day, my body has adjusted to (most of) her exercises a bit more easily. I'm on Level 2 now, a new routine and I'm pooped after 20min but I imagine in a few days I will be able to tolerate it even better.

If you do any form of exercise, you need to consume more calories to avoid weight lose. How many Calories you burn you need to compensate for with food. Walking is actually a great exercise to start with, especially if the nature trail has hills it could be challenging. You can increase difficulty walking buy getting a Backpacking pack and adding weight to your trips as it becomes to easy. There are a ton of video's that can be bought or dowloaded illegally from online for free and done with no equipment. You could buy a cheap set of weights or kettlebells and look up workouts from a site like bodybuilding.com. Resistant Bands and stuff homemade could also be used, old tire, bucket full of sand, the most random things can be workout equipemnt. You also have the body weight exercise's push-ups, sit-ups, air squats, burpees, and the list goes on just search body weight exercise's.

I find exercise to help a great deal with crohn's. I currently run, weightlift and do backpacking on the weekends. Saturday I will walk 23 miles with minimal weight and I can assure you it will be exercise and semi miserable for 8-10 hours.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
KW, "rest your head on the earth"??? Hah, yeah, the only way that would happen for me is if I fell over and landed on my head. :p The Wii Fit has one pose where the instructor says, "Bend forward and touch your toes with both hands." When I was first starting out, I was like, "Yeah, I'm just going to touch the air 6 or 8 inches above my toes." I can actually touch my toes now although just barely.

I'd love to try martial arts classes someday too, but the thought of being kicked/punched in the guts is kind of scary! That and the fact that my arthritis doesn't like high-impact exercise, and it seems to me that martial arts must be high-impact (?), it seems like it'd be rough on me all around. Still, I'd love to learn how to defend myself, I just have to be brave enough to try classes I guess.

rygon

Jogging will help burn fat, and this will be replaced my muscle so you shouldnt lose weight (I havent). I also have a set on dumbells and use these as well as doing pushups, situps and other no weight exercises at home.

I am doing advanced yoga but I do it for two hours twice a week and let my body heal and have enough healing to do throughout the week. I dont exercise everyday.I give it 150% plus those two hours twice a week.

Edit

I do hiking and small running on weekend sometimes every two or three weeks.

If you look into advanced yoga its all about aligning the muscles some 100 plus in the right position and working them better then weights can do.

May sound girly but look into FLUIDITY also muscle alignment is perfect in this program. You could do 6 hours of weights or no strain fluidity and have the muscles working and building way past exercises are done.

Do Fluidity 2-3 times a week. Ideally, allow 48 hours between Fluidity workouts to allow your muscles adequate recovery time. Fluidity works over 600 muscles during every 30 min workout

Advanced yoga is alittle better then this once you have a workout put down.

Beach, I've actually been considering signing up for some sort of Taekwondo or self defense classes, etc. Again though, I'm just not sure if I can commit to it and it's not the cheapest so I'd hate to waste it. It's definitely on my list of things I'd like to do eventually.

Cat- Yes, Rodney is insane. I like this DVD because it's a beginner DVD so it's nice and slow and more of an informative video too while doing the poses where as I have another one that's just like "do this, then this, then this, done" which is definitely not where I am anywhere near capable of yet. It was funny though, with one of the poses you stand up and then bend over and basically just rest your hands on the ground. Rodney was like "you can even extend and rest your head on the earth" while basically folded over and I'm struggling to each touch my knees lol.

CC- Jillian Michaels intimidates me lol. She's pretty much the female Chuck Norris!

You guys have encouraged me :) It may sound dumb too but I've even noticed a big difference with how I feel just from substituting drinks (pop, juice, etc) for water and really increasing my water intake.
I should have added, the karate classes my friend takes are free. They are arranged by the city - I believe. He mentions the instruction to be high quality, and he enjoys many of the other people there with him. He lucked out.

If karate is something of great interest, possibly a similar arrangement can be found in your area.

For me, I've thought of a couple karate learning possibilities. My energy levels are not always consistent. The idea of using the stomach muscles a good deal worries me also. So I've thought about signing up for an online karate learning class at first. It would give me an idea of what karate involves. If I found the self defense ideas worked well enough for me, I'd probably sign up for classes around the block from my place so I could spar with others.

I have experience with sport muscle training. Years ago, when I signed up to learn tennis with neighborhood friends, I was able to pick up the sport quicker than everyone else. It wasn't that I'm a quicker learning, it's that i cheated - in a way. On off days I would practice my tennis swings in the garage. :D With repetition, I was looking to train my muscles on how the different swings felt.

Figure with my circumstances, online karate and a mirror to practice in front of might workout best in the beginning for me.

Last edited:
haha, I attempted the whole "get j4cked" before but it was too much work/expensive/time consuming for the gains I was seeing. The yoga I'm doing is 30 mins twice a day (morning/night). I was looking into pushups/sit ups as well but have been reading contradictory advice whether or not it's even worthwhile and I actually have a rowing machine in my apartment building as well.

EDITED to add Cat-a-Tonic: You're funny! lol. I was hoping you would reply though and I was actually going to have a look at yours and Holly's threads soon. I have a decent bike as well but was concerned about irritating my abscess as well so thought I would try jogging first. I haven't decided though.

The yoga I do is at home from two DVDs we have because Mariah has been doing yoga for quite awhile now. The one I've been using is a Rodney Yee yoga for beginners but when I first started I really realized how out of shape/unflexible I was lol.
Cycling is all about the right pair of bibs.. Or maybe I am now numb to the pain. My first fistula, I thought I had a saddle sore,so I just kept riding. My GI doc totally thinks I'm a whack job.

I have a girl crush on Jillian Michaels, not going to lie.

I squat, deadlift, bench press, press, and power clean 3x a week when I am healthy. It helps me keep my bodyweight high so when the inevitable flare comes along I don't look like a skeleton.

I have a stationary bike that I use sometimes, but I prefer to use the Nike Training Club app. It's free, and it's a great workout that's good for cardio and some strength training! The workouts are great! It has to be downloaded on an iPod or iPhone though.

KWalker

CC- I will definitely check that out, thank you! I haven't been doing the yoga for long and I notice a difference too with flexibility and muscle pain during the stretches. I was actually surprised because I was expecting to be way more flexible for my size than I really was.

amrycrohns- I'm aware that I'll have to potentially increase my food intake to make sure I don't lose weight but I think I should be okay right now. The trail is just a flat, grassy trail that is probably close to half the length of my city. Of course you would just turn around at any time depending on how long you wanted to run/walk. I thought about riding my bike on it as well but anybody who has ever rode a bike knows how awful it is to ride on grass.

Cat- That's the exercise I'm talking about! I'm now at the point where I can extend and grab half way down my calf and then I look on the screen and Rodney's folded over like a tent resting on his feet and his head. It's insane. It's not like he's tiny either so I don't know where he finds room to bend like that. I'm the same with the martial arts too. I've always been one of those people where I don't want to do things in front of people until I'm good at it so I think that's held me back with a few things like going to the gym and being the small guy or joining a martial arts class and having some 10 year old girl beat me up lol.

Beatit- thanks. I will check out Fluidity and eventually advanced yoga but for now, I'm nothing more than a beginner lol. I like the yoga because although some of the stretches can be challenging, I'm not sitting there soaked in sweat so it's relaxing while still getting exercise. I plan to keep going and get really good at it.

Beach- I never thought about trying to see if the city offers free classes. I should do that, thanks! That's a good idea to do it at home with a mirror so you can still learn the moves without risking getting hit by somebody else and possibly affecting your crohns. Maybe Mariah would let me practice on her haha.

AlliRuns- I think my problem is my seat actually. I have a fairly decent Iron Horse bike but for some reason I could never seem to get really comfortable on the seat. I used to bike 10km a day (back and fourth to work) and I've tried with the seat high, low, forward, back, and I still felt like my position on the seat was off. I would probably look into a new seat for it because mine could use replacing anyways. I biked with my abscess too and didn't have problems as a result of biking (I don't think) but at the time I was still dealing with it being sore and some days it would fill up and be really uncomfortable trying to sit on the bike and I'm not sure if it's from the bike itself or if it was something else. I have a crush on Jillian Michaels too, but she could definitely beat me up with both hands tied behind her back lol

Kel- I appreciate the post. At this time I'm not really looking into weight training but I definitely respect working hard like that to be prepared for future potential flares. For me it's just not feasible to commit enough in order to see any gains.

McM17- If you're talking about the app I think you are I have it on my ipod as well but have never used it lol. I have a little gym in my apartment building that has an elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill and a rowing machine I can use as well on rainy days. My preference would be to be outside but it's definitely nice to know it's there and I have used them a few times.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
My husband and I compete (sort of, well I do) with the Just Dance games on the Wii. I think they are a lot of fun and its a great aerobic workout (we make sure we do it for 30 min at least but often go over).

I also help my grandpa do physical therapy for a couple hours twice a week and that's helped make my muscles stronger over time. I don't really recommend lifting wobbly people as it can mess up your back over time but there may be a similar activity out there where you work a lot of different muscles while lifting some weight. Just talked to my husband about exercises that may be similar, he said there's no such exercise, but this is what we came up with anyway: Pushups, pullups, crunches (to work the lower abs you can lay flat on your back with your hands placed under your tail bone, keep your legs straight and lift your feet), squats, lunges, lifting weights (you can reduce the weight by doing 5-15lbs), using resistance bands and swimming.

You say you have a dog that you walk. How long is the walk? Could you and the dog manage a light jog? How about a park nearby (or backyard if you have one) where you can throw a ball? A dog that doesn't fetch properly is great exercise. A smart dog that does will get the idea if you start chasing after it. ;)

I do like the idea of martial arts and kick boxing but it really is expensive. D: I'd do both if I could afford it.

Cycling is all about the right pair of bibs.. Or maybe I am now numb to the pain. My first fistula, I thought I had a saddle sore,so I just kept riding. My GI doc totally thinks I'm a whack job.
Lol! for the sake of the sport, I have learned to embrace spandex, and even the padding to help avoid chaffing and welts, but the bibs? No, just no.

KWalker

kel- nothing to actually take notes from, just word of mouth online. Not saying pushups weren't worth it, just saying that gains will be minimal if that's all I'm doing. I'd love to hear otherwise, but it's hard to even find many people that just to do little stuff like that and post about it online.

Jennifer- Something like what you do is perfect. Mariah had a Wii and we used to play it every day and then when we moved away her mom wanted to keep it because it was technically hers, and now it's sitting collecting dust lol. Maybe we can have it now. Even the games like the tennis and boxing on there are good because although they're not big exercises, they are quite a workout when you get into it.

When we walk the dog we do a minimum of 30 mins and a maximum of an hour because he's just a small dog so he gets tired easily. He would never go on a jog because he has the attention span of a brick wall and the second he saw another dog/person/squirrel he would just completely go off course. We don't have a backyard because we live in an apartment building but right across the street we have a pretty big park. We can't let him off the leash because he's too fast and again, would be gone if he saw something and there's no way I'd be able to catch him. It's too close to the road. I did however buy one of those way too long leashes right before the winter because they were on sale and I thought it might be good to have so I want to do that. It's like 50ft and I planned to use it with him in the park to teach him to go far away and then call him back so we can train him to come. This way too I can run with him and it wouldn't matter if he went off course because the leash it long enough that it wouldn't really affect anything.

Well, I guess it mostly depends on how strong you are right now. How many push ups can you do without stopping?

KWalker

I don't even know the last time I tried to do a pushup lol. I can get back to you on that though. I doubt its anything to be proud of though.

I did my morning yoga and then went for a jog for the first time in I don't know how long. I figured it out and I did about .75km and even that was hard! I forgot how out of shape I am. I think the last time I went jogging was in high school.

Lol! for the sake of the sport, I have learned to embrace spandex, and even the padding to help avoid chaffing and welts, but the bibs? No, just no.
Ah, you're missing out, bibs are great ;-) except when you get everything on and suddenly need to go to the bathroom. Bibs must be paired with a full zip jersey.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Every time you guys says "bibs" I think of the ones that go around your neck to prevent getting your shirt dirty. :p I figured I had it wrong. Still protection for your clothing but worn further South. :p

Well Cat has already told you about my exercise routine! :p

I enjoy doing cardio, so I think running or bike riding would be a good choice for you. I don't think you should let your abscess stop you from trying the bike (if you have one) if it made it any worse then it probably wouldnt be the best. Personally I find running hurts my stomach the most out of the cardio I do.

I also have some resistance bands which I do at home. I got them quite cheap on amazon. It gets your heart beating if you do it at a good pace and works your muscles.

I haven't lost weight since exercising. I have put on some of which I think is muscle. But overall I feel a lot stronger than I did before exercising. And I think it makes you feel better psychologically as well. Even just the confidence in knowing you are fitter.

Sorry if I have repeated things. I only scanned through the thread :)

Ok, then let's look at 2 examples.

Ex. A)
You can do 100 push ups in a row without your form breaking down. You are quite strong on this exercise (and the push up is a good indicator of overall body strength) and so continuing to do more and more push ups will not be that useful as far as making progress goes. You can use a weight vest, use plates, or chains to get more out each push up, but that can only add so much weight before it becomes overly cumbersome to load and assume a push up position.

Ex. B)
You can do 10 push ups in a row...barely. Thus doing multiple sets of push ups provides enough stress on the body to cause an adaption - increase in strength and endurance. In this scenario the push up is quite effective at quickly increasing your overall strength.

Also things like dips, chin ups/pull ups, and bodyweight squats function in much the same way and require minimal or no equipment.

Hope this was helpful.

Oh and what is your height and weight?

KWalker

Yes, over here we refer to bibs as those things we give babies so they don't spill their food all over their shirts. What you guys are calling bibs, we just call "way too small shorts" lol.

Thanks Holly :) It's nice to hear that you didn't lose weight (unless you wanted too) while doing cardio. I can see how it would also help build muscle and therefore weight, but do you think it would still make me smaller because muscle is smaller than fat for the same weight?

kel- I am 5'11 and vary from 155-160lbs. I'm usually around 157-158lbs.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I will go on the record and say that I could not do one measly push up if my life depended on it two weeks ago.

Through this Shred DVD, every day I do about 30 modified pushups and challenge myself at the beginning of the set to see if I can do a proper pushup. I'm about 2 weeks into the Shred and I can comfortably perform 5 solid pushups before having to resort to the modified, knee push ups, which I now do more smoothly and with a bit less stress. I feel stronger and my arms have a tiny little bulge trying to pop out :p

My endurance and strength in my arms have improved so I can definitely vouch for option 2 (Ex. B) that kel provides. It's better to do them slow and in proper form than to rush through. You will see results a lot quicker.

Yes, over here we refer to bibs as those things we give babies so they don't spill their food all over their shirts. What you guys are calling bibs, we just call "way too small shorts" lol.

Thanks Holly :) It's nice to hear that you didn't lose weight (unless you wanted too) while doing cardio. I can see how it would also help build muscle and therefore weight, but do you think it would still make me smaller because muscle is smaller than fat for the same weight?

kel- I am 5'11 and vary from 155-160lbs. I'm usually around 157-158lbs.
Lol, they are actually shorts with straps that go over your shoulders, kinda like a bodysuit, this eliminating the need for a waistband.

breaking bones or hitting something over time while letting it heal makes it 10 times stronger same with muscles.

yeah work the muscles or arms with pushups slowly and build over time I would say 3 months then increase.

shit rainbows folks :ylol:

KWalker

AlliRuns, so like...shorts with suspenders? haha just playin'

Beatit- Not sure what you mean by "shit rainbows" but I'll try lol

Also, That tiny little jog I did yesterday kicked my ass. I feel like I have two wooden legs today and yoga was HARD this morning trying to stretch! On a positive side though I am noticing improvements in my lower back!

KWalker

I need a good bike. I have a decent mountain bike that's not bad riding on the road but I want to get a nice road/race bike. They're just so expensive!

If you look through some of my recent posts in my Gym thread (the last week) I was talking about being surprised at how big I am. I've gained muscle but don't think I have really lost very much fat so I actually feel a lot bigger.

Check Craigslist for old road bikes! You can find some amazing deals (especially if you're in a larger city). Idk if it's been talked about but...buying a pair of riding shorts with padding in the underside was a MUST for me when I started riding.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Agreed, swimming is best but biking has less impact than jogging so I'd pick biking over the two myself (although jogging is cheaper :p).