• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pilates anyone?

annawato

Staff member
Ok, here is the problem. Besides being 20 kilos overweight (44lbs), I look like I am 9 months pregnant with twins (and I have been there). I have a very large hernia above and to left of ileostomy and am unable to walk or cycle for exercise as I have 3 fractures in my foot that are not healing (Charcots foot) The muscles in my stomach are non existent after two pregnancies, one was twins, 4 resections, one stoma and reversal, and now another permanent stoma. I thought that at least if I could reactivate my tummy muscles my stomach would not be quite so prominent and i may feel a little more positive about myself. I started doing pre and post natal exercises but found that this led to my wafer becoming unstuck leading to unexpected disasters.
Has anyone with a stoma tried pilates, what success did you have with it? Alternately has anyone any suggestions of what else I could try.

I don't have a stoma but I did pilates for ages before my arthritis started and I had to give up every sport I did and started cycling. I loved the effect that pilates has on the muscles, it really strengthens the deep muscles and gives a great posture. For the stoma, I can' t say anything about pilates, sorry!

I haven't tried it but I have been told Pilates is ideal for ostomates.
I would like to try Yoga, unfortunately my friend who's a yoga instructor has been unwel the past year, so I've never gotten round to doing it.
Have you tried a different pouch ?, I use Coloplast Mio, the wafer is incredibly stretchy and moves which ever way you move.

annawato

Staff member
Hi Grotbags, Thanks for your response. I have tried other pouches and keep coming back to my welland one which is very flexible. Although I will try the Mio as if it is as anything near as stretchy as the coloplast elastic tape it must be good. That tape has saved me many a time! :)
Yoga is a good idea too and another thing I could try. I did it years ago and have some cd's that I could use to do it at home so thanks for the idea.
p.s. I love your dog/husband quote!
Charlotte anything that improved my posture would be a good thing! Its a shame Pilates is so expensive though. But worth it if it improves life!