• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pill Cam Endoscopy -- Worth It?

Hello all,

I have a somewhat long-winded (sorry) question about pill cam endoscopies that I was hoping somebody could answer. But first: I am a twenty year old female. Almost one year ago I began to have ambiguous upper/lower GI issues -- intense bouts of nausea, significant weight loss, chronic morning diarrhea, loss of appetite, generalized abdominal pain, an inability to exercise because it made me feel sick. I saw a gastroenterologist a couple of months later when the symptoms did not subside. He ordered blood tests which returned relatively normal -- CRP levels were mildly elevated at 11.5, sedimentation was fine; he ordered an MRI which returned unremarkable; and he ordered an upper endoscopy/colonoscopy which revealed reactive gastropathy in my stomach (he isn't concerned about this) and mild ileitis (inflammation in my ileum) respectively. Biopsies taken from the ileum did not indicate Crohn's (or anything else, for that matter).

After a follow up appointment today, my gastroenterologist admitted that he doesn't know what is wrong or if anything is wrong at all. He suggested we try a pill cam endoscopy to check out my small bowel, since my ileum inflammation, though mild, should not have been present at all. He says there is a very, very small chance that I might have mucosal Crohn's. Very small. Although a few of my original symptoms have improved some these past couple of months -- weight loss and diarrhea -- others have either stayed the same or worsened -- nausea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, inability to exercise. Often, my abdominal pain is either sharp and below my left rib or dull/tearing in my right mid/lower side.

I am becoming so frustrated with GI procedures, in part because they continually reveal nothing significant. My colonoscopy prep was awful, and I will have to do another similar Miralax/Gatorade prep for the pill cam. Also, I am really really bad at swallowing even small pills. So my question is this: given the normalcy of previous test results (minus the ileitis), is this pill cam endoscopy even worth the trouble? Have any of you had experiences with the pill cam, positive or negative?

Again, I apologize that this is so long winded. And I hope that it is ok for me to post to this forum, even though I am undiagnosed. I do appreciate your responses! Thank you so much.

Last edited:
It is okay to post. There is a section with people who are undiagnosed. If you feel like there is something going on that they haven't been able to pin down yoiu probably want to keep pushing until you get an answer. Let us know how things turn out.

Scipio

IMO the capsule camera endoscopy is worth it. In my case that's how I finally got a diagnosis. My case was much like yours, some pain but nothing too bad, upper and lower endoscopy both normal, and blood work all normal except for one bout of anemia. So he resorted to the capsule camera, and with that he spotted aphthous ulcers in the ileal region of the small bowel.

Without seeing those we'd probably still be wondering what is wrong with me and what to do about it.

Also, I tend to gag on big pills, but one thing I have found that makes them go down easier is to wash them down with a fizzy drink. There is something about the carbonation that makes it go down easier for me. So on the day of the pill cam I brought my own can of Sprite (no Coke - clear liquids only) to wash it down with.

Scipio -- wow! Hearing other people's stories that are similar to my own give me motivation and hope. I don't want Crohn's, but I desperately want answers. Whatever happens with the pill cam, at least I'll have a definitive yes or no. Kind of like what you were saying.

I will most definitely give the fizzy drink a try -- hadn't thought of that! Thank you so very much for your reply, I hope that you are well.

I was also hesitant about the pill cam, but it confirmed diagnosis for my 11 yr old when it picked up numerous patches of inflammation in her small intestine that the dr would not have seen otherwise. Inflammation in the ileum was the first clue she might have crohns. She was new to swallowing pills, and the pill cam is large, but she did it like a rock star. It gave us the final bit of information we needed to move on to treatment.

If you truly believe you may not be able to swallow the pill cam, there is a patency pill you can try first. It's basically a "fake" pill cam (same size) that doesn't cost the hundreds of dollars of the real one. We did that first to make sure my daughter could get it down. Good luck to you!

Sorry to post twice -- didn't see this question on your post about being able to swallow the cam. This test is crucial in your situation... talk to your doctor (or maybe better the nurses since they tend to know the tricks better) and find a way to get the camera in... after months of tests, this was the one that found the Crohn's for me. And for the question you didn't ask -- it didn't hurt on the way out - I never even noticed!