• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pill cam

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the pill camera test? My doctor wants me to have one, but I saw the size of the dummy pill, and I just don't know if I could do it. (It took me a week to work up the courage just to try to swallow a pentasa capsule, which is tiny compared to the dummy cam.)
He had also mentioned something about a chance of a blockage, which is also a concern for me. This is pretty much my alternative to a colonoscopy so it's defenatly the better choice, but I would like to know what to expect and if the risks are serious.

PsychoJane

Have you done a Barium follow through? My doctor asked for that exam prior to the first pill cam (I do it once a year). The SBFT allows to see if you have narrowing that would be a problem (it is not perfect but it really does help to avoid the risk of blockage). Personally I did not get any issue with them. I don't find it hard to swallow (think about the size of a bite when you swallow it, it ends up being lot bigger than the pill cam itself). You actually just have to take a big gulp of water at the same time and it goes "smoothly". But you have to keep in mine that you have to go through pretty much the same prep as for colonoscopy and the exam is long, you have to take a day off. So it's better choice on certain aspect, not that better on others. I could not say if the risk are serious as it went well for me every time so far...

Not everywhere asks for a prep to be done before a Pill Cam, some just ask for a fast. It varies from Hospital to Hospital so quite widely. I know mine in the UK (my test was cancelled though) said a fast, and another 2 I know of in the UK had to do prep.

The pill cam was the best test i ever had.

No other test ever showed the Crohn's in my small bowel like the pill cam did.
Many Dr's never listened to my complaints but the pill cam told me,with clinical evidence,what i always knew - active Crohn's,which they denied far too many times

IMO go for it.

Had this done last week, awaiting results. I too had misgivings and, though I never had a problem, if I do it again, I would do the dummy pill first. The cam wasn't that big, about an inch and a quarter long and half inch diameter. It wasn't a problem as I take gram pills of fish oil multiple times daily; and the cam isn't THAT much bigger.

I really question the benefits of this method for colon surveillance as my pill was only recorded for eight hours--I just don't see how this could go through my whole system in such a short time. Also, if the doc finds polyps, they will have to do a colonoscopy to go in and take biopsies, anyway. That's not to say you will have polyps, of course; that's just the reasoning to do colonscopies as opposed to cameras.

However, the wireless endoscopy/camera pill is the only method I know of to keep an eye on the small intestines. Barium xrays don't seem like a good idea, unless absolutely necessary. It seems they zap you continuously, and that can't be healthy. Some of the most radiation-sensitive cells in your body comprise the gut lining. And I won't begin to attempt to describe the torture of drinking glasses full of barium.

I only had to fast after lunch the day before, and that night take a 12oz laxative drink that tasted like bitter, fizzy gatorade. The following morning I took the pill with 3oz of water mixed with some substrate to stop bubbles from messing with the cameras view. From there you were a less than fashionable battery fanny pack and a large belly belt under your shirt. Again, mine was only for 8 hours.

Without insurance, this procedure would cost $2600, so I'm told. All that said, I still highly recommend it. Though I think crohnnies should opt for a dummy pill first, because who knows how strictured the small intestines could be?

Thanks so much for all your replies, it's defenatly a relif knowing more information about how it's done. I'm hoping I'll just have to fast, (I despise prep, it make me throw up!) but I think my doctor would understand, maybe I could use the pill form if I have to.
I think my doctors plan is to give me the dummy cam, then I'll have an x-ray the next day to make sure it went through, and if everything goes well I'll do the real pill cam. My appointment is mid January so I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.