• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pins and Needles!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had some great advice from people on here regarding J. She is having her B12 levels tested and I am going to find out about getting all her test results sent to us.

After starting to get pins and needles it is now getting much worse. She says it feels like someone is putting a million pins in her and it burns. Her face is the worst at the moment but can spread anywhere from her toes, legs, bottom and back, fingers, hands and arms.

After asking if she has been tested for B12, her nurse has told us that her last levels were 143, which is apparently low but not worryingly. This was in October!! Since then she has been really poorly and begrudgingly they are retesting this. Her GI seems to think that Coeliacs is her problem, but she has been gluten free since mid December. We are looking at getting her a second opinion.

She is still nauseous and vomiting daily, has abdo pain. When she does have a BM (between 5 - 10 days) it is bloody and mucussy, she has blood even when she doesn't go to the toilet!

At the moment though the pins and needles is driving her nuts! Does anyone have any experience of this and is there anything that can ease it?? Is there any supplements that may help??

Look at ingredients in whatever she is drinking as well... you may find a culprit there that is aggrevating her condition. Some ginger tea may help ease her nausea and vomiting....something is certainly aggrevating her. Good luck!
Probiotics would be a great supplement to begin immediately.

Hi Mickey

Thanks for your reply, she is literally only drinking flavoured water... She doesn't have probiotics as yet. Thank you for this advice

The thing that comes up when I search the pins and needles is chronic paresthesia. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause this as well. 143 B12 is a bit low...I think the reference range is 200-1000.

I've been praying for you two...

Crohn's Mom

Hi Niks,
Is your daughter on Flagyl by chance ?
What you describe can be a side affect of Flagyl

I hope you can get this sorted for her soon!
:hug:

I am guessing they already checked her blood sugars right?? It sure starting to sound neurological to me. I mean her bowels and gut motility is very slow( which can be neurological. I am thinking you may have better luck getting her in to see a good neurologist. They may be able to help her and find some answers to what is going on with her.. I hope you can get some answers soon so she can get some help and feel better. There are different meds that can help with the pins and needled and burning sensations. I think one is elavil an there are others out there. Like I said, I think maybe you should consult with a neurologist just to see..

flavored water may contain red dye, fructose, etc., and preservatives. plain water or ginger tea, etc., may be better choices.