• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please explain this to me.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
What is dumping syndrome? I've heard in context to patients who have had gastric bypass surgery and resections.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Dumping syndrome usually refers to undigested food passing out of your stomach too rapidly and therefore being "dumped" into your small bowel. This will cause cramping and nausea and normally happens soon after eating but can occur up to 3 hours after.

Dusty. xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
It is normally as a result of weight loss surgery but any surgery to the stomach involving the pylorus (the opening between the stomach and the duodenum) and the duodenum (first part of the small bowel) can cause it.

I think most people adjust their diet and over time it will resolve itself. If that doesn't work medication can be prescribed to slow the digestive process down and if that doesn't work, further surgery to restrict the area around the pylorus.

Dusty. xxx

I had this for awhile. It happened a lot when I ate vegtables. If you can see what you ate a couple of hours before you can tell you have "dumping syndrom" it eventually worked itself out as I steadily got worse. I'm a little confused though as I'm diagnosed crohns colitis(crohns in my colon only) they haven't done an endoscopy though so they don;t know if it's higher up but since my first couple of inches of my ilium weren't flared up I guess they felt it wasn't nessassary.

Dusty do you know if crohns colitis or UC can have dumping syndrom or is it a symptom of flaring higher up in your system?

...I guess I don't understand the dumping syndrom thing...I never brought it up to a doctor since it eventually went away. I had it for about a month then it was done and then straight blood started so perhaps it wasn;t dumping syndrom...

Last edited:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I used to be able to tell what I ate only minutes to an hour before - it would come out soooooo fast! This was during flares too - it was bad enough that people thought I was throwing up instead of pooping it out...that is how undigested the food was.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Dusty do you know if crohns colitis or UC can have dumping syndrom or is it a symptom of flaring higher up in your system?
Dumping syndrome is really only used in reference to the stomach.

If you have inflammation of your bowel then the normal process of absorption and re-absorption that slows digestion down, and breaks food down, is going to be affected. This will cause food to pass through your GI tract much faster than it should so it will produce the effect of passing undigested food.

The more inflammation, the faster the process and the more undigested food.

Dusty. xxx

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks for the clarification, Dusty. There are times when I feel that food goes right through me.