• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please get me psyched for my colonoscopy

I am having another colonoscopy next week. I am already starting to have panic attacks over the prospect of the prep. Someone, please help get me psyched for this, so I can get through the next few days. This will be my 11th, so it isn't like I don't know what will happen, but I really don't want to do the prep again.

nogutsnoglory

Is there an easier prep your doctor can give you? I once took one with pills and not the liquid which wasn't too bad.

I know the prep is unpleasant but what gets you just running all night or the dehydration? Make sure to have lots of Gatorade and magazines and entertainment in the bathroom.

It is the idea of drinking all that liquid. Every single time I've puked up at least part of the prep. And then being in the bathroom all night is another thing that is giving me anxiety. I guess it is just the overall unpleasantness of it. I should appreciate the gatorade prep. My first one was was golightly which did not go well. I was inpatient at the time and I puked it all over a nurses aid who was trying to help me.

Oh, and since we only have one bathroom in the house, it is also having to get off the toilet so my husband and son can use it when they need to.

I had picolax recently, much easier to drink cos it was just one glass, took a while to work but that was ok cos while I was doing you know what everyone else was sleeping, we only have one loo too so it solved that problem too. I hate the prep too but I guess there's no other way around it, I had one last week, moviprep that time, I can't think of any inspiring words especially since you've had many before but I send you my thoughts and wishes that is not too bad and over soon, good luck and try not to worry. :ghug:

nogutsnoglory

One bathroom is definitely not a good thing. Can you kick them out of the house for a day? Have your son stay with a friend and let your husband keep busy?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
LindaS, I only have one bathroom too so I understand. The last time I did prep, my brother was living with us, so it was me & hubby & bro with one bathroom. I told the boys that when I was prepping, if you just have to pee, go in the utility sink in the basement! :p A little gross but it all worked out. Not sure if your husband and son would go for something like that, but hopefully they can hold it for a bit if nothing else.

I know when I prep, I like to have everything all nice and planned so it goes as smoothly as possible. I wear my nicest, comfiest pajamas/robe/socks. I have all my electronic devices fully charged up and loaded with games and movies. I have multiple flavors of jell-o ready to go. I have creams, wet wipes, nice smelling candles lit, nice music playing, lovely bubble bath, whatever I can do to make myself more comfortable. It does make a difference and makes a horrible time more tolerable. Good luck!

My son would LOVE the idea of going in the sink. Or outside. He's 9 and thinks peeing outside is the best. :ylol:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ha ha, too funny. Maybe you shouldn't encourage your son, or he'll start peeing in the sink/outside all the time. Honestly I do believe my hubby still pees in the utility sink from time to time when I'm in the bathroom. :p

Which prep are you using? I took Dulcolax pills two nights before the prep and then I mixed Miralax in 64 ozs. of lemon-lime Gatorade. It wasn't that bad.

I took the day off from work on prep day and I rested prior to drinking the Gatorade mix. It was nice resting and treating it like a "sick day."

Do you have a Rita's water ice near you? For my dinner after I took the Dulcolax pills, I treated myself to a large, green Juicy Pear water ice. It was absolutely delicious! I also bought chicken broth from my local Chinese restaurant and drank it in a coffee mug. I found that I enjoyed the new Frost Gatorade, which is clear, has no dyes and tastes like cherries.

I know when I prep, I like to have everything all nice and planned so it goes as smoothly as possible. I wear my nicest, comfiest pajamas/robe/socks. I have all my electronic devices fully charged up and loaded with games and movies. I have multiple flavors of jell-o ready to go. I have creams, wet wipes, nice smelling candles lit, nice music playing, lovely bubble bath, whatever I can do to make myself more comfortable. It does make a difference and makes a horrible time more tolerable. Good luck!
Yeah that sounds like me too, it does help make the day go by if everything is sorted before hand.

I told my girls they could go stay somewhere else on prep night, then their plans changed and they were home but thankfully it worked out and they had a girlie night out at a local nightclub. I got a little bit fraught when they were all home.

I'm doing the prep now, and I've drank half the gatorade, and I'm so nauseous that I can't drink any more. I've already spent more time drinking this than I should. I wonder if I should just take an hour off, then drink the rest. Just looking at it is giving me the dry heaves.

You could dry either drinking a little bit of Ginger Ale to calm down the nausea or chew a little gum. Just make sure the gum is not red, orange or purple. Once the nausea calms down, then you can resune drinking the Gatorade prep.