• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please help any advice appreciated

Recently my dad was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, hes on medication at the moment however im here because he is eating almost nothing. The doctors aren’t doing anything they are only saying for him to try and eat more. He is trying but its not getting any better.

In the morning he would have 2 crackers with a bit of cheese, the same for lunch and by dinner time he complaining that he is too full.

Yesterday he couldn’t eat any dinner so all he had for the entire day was basicly 4 crackers with cheese. He has already lost a lot of weight and im getting a bit scared about the amount hes eating.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks once again. Im new to all this and this forum.

Please excuse any mistakes in this post as im dyslexic

Hi!

Nutrition is so important for healing and health and so it's so good that you are paying attention to it (even if his doctors aren't giving it much importance - which they should!)

I'd suggest asking your GP for a prescription for a dietary supplement like Fortisip which should help your father get more nutrition in - whether he just has the drinks and sips them all day or has them in addtion to the tiny amount of food he is managing.

I think it's important to do that quickly. These things can go downhill very quickly and it's not going to help regardless of what is causing his fullness and inability to eat.

The root cause of that is something that I would (if I were you) want to talk to his doctors about in more detail. Have they done imaging? Could he have a bowel obstruction?

Sometimes doctors don't seem to understand that it is not simply a matter of trying to eat more - because we simply can't - I've experience that myself. It's really important too to make sure they know exactly how little your father is able to manage.

Edit: just saw that you added that your father is 80 so I suppose his lack of appetite could be somewhat age related but they shouldn't dismiss other causes without checking. Regardless he needs better nutrition in the meantime (whatever other tests need to be done or causes ruled out) and it's not uncommon for older people to need dietary supplements to boost their calories. I would think this would make you doctor even more open to the idea.

There are also higher energy versions of Fortisip and Fortijuice called (I think) Fortisip Extra and Fortisip Compact - allowing you to get more calories while consuming less volume of drink. A referral to a dietician might be helpful for your father too at some point because they could work out how many calories he needs and the best way for him to get that - all in combination with the gastro docs advice too of course.

Such a difficult question, because everyone is different.
Personally, the Paleo diet changed my life.
But a lot of people try SCD diet, research it here or on internet. But, if your dad is 80 he may need help, any chance he lives with you?

My husband's grandmother is 92 and I know her appetite is very poor. She is healthy but drinks meal replacement drinks like Ensure to get enough calories and nutrients. Definitely something to suggest for your dad.

It could be the medication affecting his appetite - what is he on? I found Flagyl really made me not want to eat. With him complaining of feeling full, I agree with 26401 that that is something to talk to doctors about.

Great advice from the people above.
I hope he is taking a vitamin pill too to make up for the one-sided diet? I agree with the advice of nutritional drinks for nutrients and calories. They come in all sorts of flavours too.
One trick could be to put things in his reach that he can't resist (does he have a sweet tooth?).
Also try to make mealtimes regular so that the body expects food at certain times and that might help too.
Lack of appetite can have so many reasons, Crohns or not. Is he worried about more symptoms if he eats more?
It is good of you to be concerned and try to help. Good luck. I am rooting for you and your Dad.

Diagnosed with Crohn's at 80? I would think the top priority would be to help him enjoy the rest of his life. Steroids should give him a good appetite..

That's what I was thinking too, lenny. Luckily there is someone who is trying to improve his quality of life! If they can get to the bottom (no pun....) of the lack of appetite - or increase it like you suggest - that would go a long way to helping too.

Lady Organic

Staff member
social interaction/support with loved ones is one key imo. I would suggest a few meetings with a social worker, sometimes available directly at hospital or in medical centres. Evaluation of depressive state can also be done by a family doctor.