• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please help me understand!

My doctors and IBD nurse came to the conclusion to put me on Methotrexate for a few weeks to jump start my other meds & hold me together for our 10 day family vacation. What's the point? From what I've read, it takes months to work. Not to mention the heavy risks with my other meds. Has anyone ever heard of such a short course being RX to kick start other meds?

Thanks!

my little penguin

Staff member
We were told Mtx only takes a few weeks to work if you have already been on other meds.
That said it did really nothing for DS .
Hope it helps you.

With C, they said he wasn't quite reaching the next infusion of Remicade and the MTX would help boost. We don't have any tests results but he has made it further than before without symptoms. 1 week and 2 days til next infusion, fingers crossed. This is his first stretch with MTX and he hasn't experienced any symptoms as of yet, before he was making it 2 and a half or 3 week after infusion and symptoms would start to reappear.