• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please help! Need advice!

I was diagnosed when I was 14. I went through a multiple of tests and finally after multiple Drs they diagnosed me with Crohn's Disease. I was put on Asacol 2400mg daily, entocort (cant remember the dosage) and was told to take a multi vitamin, fish oil, and calcium. A couple weeks later I was put on high dose of prednisone 40mg and also imuram 150mg daily. Eventually I started feeling better and thought the medicine was working. I had minor flares here and there and was put on prednisone to get them under control. When I was 17 I was hospitalized for 2 weeks due to a major flare, and ureter blockage and kidney inflammation. I was put on high dose IV prednisone, imuran, asacol, morphine for pain and all my vitamins. My Dr wanted to do another colonoscopy to see what was going on and from what he saw he decided the imuran was no longer working so he suggested remicade for when I get out of the hospital. I eventually started remicade 2 weeks later and was just starting to taper down from the steroids. At first it seemed like the remicade was working wonders and everything was going well until I started to get flare ups in-between infusions. So my Dr increased the dose to 10mg/kilo that seemed like it was working well. I then turned 19 and my pediatric gastroenterologist decided it was time for me to move to an adult Dr (yay) lol I have had lots of problems trying to find a Dr that can help me. Until the past two weeks were I started to flare up again In between infusions. We decided to move the remicade up to every 6 weeks and schedule another colonoscopy which I had this past Monday. The colonoscopy went horrible I woke up in excruciating pain and actually pulled me Iv out of my hand and was crying it hurt so bad. They ended up putting the iv back in and gave me torodal and fentanyl for pain. My Dr that day told me that he can no longer see me due to my disease was way to advanced for him so he recommended me to a Dr at the university of Michigan. My Dr found that the crohns has spread to my large intestine (and said i have crohns colitis) and decided that the remicade wasn't working and that hopefully this new dr can figure something out. He put me back on a high dose of prednisone. My Michigan appt isn't till April 19th and so I also found Another dr for a second consultation to see what he thinks. His office squeezed me in today and he said that the asacol isn't working, and remicade isnt working. We talked about surgery but he said my disease has to be all I'm one spot for surgery to even happen. We are getting a ct done to figure out where everything is localized and to see if I have a fistula. He also is starting me on cimzia. I am finding out tomorrow if my insurance will cover it and hopefully start it tomorrow or Monday sometime. I'm very frustrated because everything seems to stop working and the prednisones side affects are terrible on my body. I have had a major problem with my weight, mood swings, hot flashes and severe joint pain on top of insomnia. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm ready to try anything to get this under control, my life is affected by it tremendously and I want to start to take back control over it and live it like a normal 19yr old! Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

afidz

Super Moderator
Hi MattB I am sorry you are struggling so much.
I woke up during a scope once too, its no fun at all, especially if you wake up during the biopsy. Where was your disease located first?
I am a little confused as to why your disease as to be in one place for them to be able to do the surgery. There is tons of people that have Crohn's located in more than once section of their digestive system, and tons of people that have multiple resections at once.
I am going to tag CrohnsChicago in this thread, she has been pretty good at finding ways to combat the awful side effects of prednisone, so she may have some advice for you there.
I hope your doctor appointment with the new doctor goes well and you can start getting everything under control soon.
Since you are in between doctors right now, I would request copies of all tests done so that when you go to a new consultation they have the latest results and you don't have to get tested again

Thanks afidz! My disease was first located in my terminal ileum. Now spread to my large intestines in multiple areas. I have no idea, he told me that i could only have surgery if it was all contained in one area. From what I have read and what you said people do get multiple resections done so I'm not to sure why he said that. Maybe I mis understood him I'm not to sure. I have another appointment next week, so I will have him explain it again. That's some great advice about the medical records I will for sure have copies made of everything! Thanks! :)

afidz

Super Moderator
I would definitely ask him again to clarify. If you think you will have trouble remembering what he said, bring someone with you or some type of recording device. I bring my boyfriend with me to important appointments and then afterwards I go over everything with him to make sure I understood it right. It makes a big difference. If that is truly what he said, you can't have surgery because its in multiple spots, I might consider another doctor. That just doesn't seem right.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you having such problems with the tum :( When the scope was done did the doc confirm whether you had inflammation or is there scarring as well? One thing it may be worth looking into is enteral nutrition, this has been shown to get the tum settled without the problematic side effects that you get with the steroids. Also given that you have been told to take supplements have your vitamin levels actually been checked?

Will be keeping fingers crossed that the Cimzia will be approved and that this will get the tum sorted for you.

AB
xx

Afidz Yes I am going to see him next week, I will definitely ask him to clarify! I am getting a CT scan done tomorrow so hopefully he will get the results of before I go see him! Angrybird I had both scarring and inflammation in both small and large intestines. I will for sure look into enteral nutrition. No my vitamin levels have not been checked in years, I will ask him to check them when I go next week. I also have another consultation April 19th at the University of Michigan so we will see how that goes and what she has to say. I am still waiting to hear back if my insurance covers Cimzia. Hopefully it does fingers crossed!
Thanks again everyone for your kind words and advice!