• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please Help re alternative tablets

Urgent

Please does anybody know an alternative to Imuran?

Imuran is killing me, I am losing my hair, it's stopped growing, I get like painful palpitations up my spine and in my chest, I feel sick all the time, my joints ache and also my lower back. One odd thing is, I can't even clean my teeth without heaving, I heave when I put a tablet on my tongue now I used to be OK before. My taste has gone horrid especially meat tastes very metallic. I sweat in bed every night. swollen ankles. painful and difficult urination My arms itch like mad, please does anybody else suffer, I don't know whether I should be taking them or not, I have tried halving the dosage no better, anybody got any advice, I can't communicate very well with my foreign Dr and she will probably know nothing about this drug without contacting the hospital.

What do you think?

Last edited:
You could try 6-mp, that is what imuran gets converted into in the body. But imuran has more byproducts as a result. Sometimes people can tolerate 6-mp better. Other than that, you can step down to mesalazine meds (milder tablets) or step up to remicade or humira, which are more powerful but also might cause side effects. But it does sound like you should stop the Imiran, itchiness in oarticular is a worry because you could be becoming allergic.

You could try 6-mp, that is what imuran gets converted into in the body. But imuran has more byproducts as a result. Sometimes people can tolerate 6-mp better. Other than that, you can step down to mesalazine meds (milder tablets) or step up to remicade or humira, which are more powerful but also might cause side effects. But it does sound like you should stop the Imiran, itchiness in oarticular is a worry because you could be becoming allergic.
Thanks for your prompt reply, I have been so ill for ages now but today has been the last straw my arms are itching so bad I could die too.

What is MP? the problem is I am in Hungary and the language barrier is a problem and the Dr in Hospital always says it's not the tablets, I take Pentassa too no probs. I was taking Slazaprin these also made me very ill, what can I do?

I have also started back with diarhea and blood so why do I suffer taking these now?

Last edited:
6-mp is mercaptopurine, it's another immune suppressant. Can you find an English speaking doctor? Or maybe try the European Crohn's and Colitis society (can't remember the proper name, sorry) when I went on holiday I found some useful translation sheets with key phrases on, which might help!

Thanks, Hungarian is difficult to translate.

I know Hungarians who can't read some letters if they come from parliment for instance. I usually put a few words into my phones translator before visiting the Dr, That is why I am worried I have no one to ask.

Do you speak "Hungarian" or English? Which language does the doctor speak?

I think it's pretty obvious it's the Imuran that is doing this to you. It is never advised to change/stop medical treatment without professional advice, but it sounds like this doctor either doesn't believe you or isn't able to communicate with you.

I would strongly recommend seeing a different physician for another opinion. They may be able to find a better treatment for you, or at least stop the treatment you're on now that's causing your problems.

I hope you get it sorted out! Good luck.

Astra

Hi Lifesaver

hope you get something sorted out, no need to suffer like this!
I was extremely allergic to Azathioprine (Imuran) after 2 months on it. My whole body was covered in itchy bleeding painful hives! My gastro doc was so shocked!
Get in touch with the doc and get off it! Take someone with you to translate.
xxx

Thanks for the replies, I'm English and I don't speak Hungarian, My GP has little English but the doctor in charge in hospital speaks very good English.
Seeing GP tomorrow she wasn't there today.

The problem is I used to have Salazopryn tablets that made me very tired and sick, when I told her I had stopped taking them because they made me sick she was quite angry and changed my tablets to Pentassa. I also have Imuran, and pantoprazol, Tremadol for pain relief, My Doctor said she thought it was because I was anaemic and not the tablets. It is the tablets I tried stopping and starting them and cutting them back.

I think the Imuran may have made my tongue swell a little, although it looks ok But if I try to stick it out it makes me heave also cleaning my teeth makes me heave, sometimes talking makes me heave for no reason. I cant put a tablet on my tongue anymore without heaving, the Pentassa I have had often always catches my throat and sticks now, making me heave.

I hate this illness I have not taken an Imuran today but it will take a few days to wear off I think, will this make a difference to my health down below though? I don't bleed much or go to the loo too often at the moment so I am in pretty good shape, but for how long is what worries me. the tablets however are making my life hell and I think they may not have any better ones.

I need to manage drugs I can handle myself.

Sorry for the rant everyone, I feel better after it lol, I'm scared that's all.

Last edited: