• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

PLEASE READ. Possible miss diagnosis could be others.

It would help if you read my initial story when I first joined the site about two weeks ago.

It turns out I have colonized salmonella ( Salmonella group C ) in my system. They are pretty certain it is the same salmonella infection I had back in 2009 that I was treated for and was thought to be destroyed. Since then I've had flare ups ( mostly minor ) but also ended up in the hospital with C-diff in 2011. From there I had on and off problems until February this year I got really bad. I've been in the hospital since April 19th and after three stool samples they found I have Salmonella. I took in two stool samples to my local doctors office that were fresh and sent out to laboratories in February this year which both came back negative for any bacteria. Turns out since it was colonized in my system it pretty much only sheds off dead bacteria cells and they found it with a different test here at the hospital.

My idea is there are a lot of people who have suffered GI infections then came down with ( either prior or after ) crohns or C-diff like infections. I was thought to have had ulcerative colitis / crohns for about two years now and it looks like the salmonella has been causing the symptoms. I urge anyone who has had any type of GI infectious bacteria to find a good laboratory to make sure you are not harboring some colonized form of bad bacteria. Also probiotics don't fight salmonella. I can't be the only person who has had this happen. My salmonella caused flare ups and would disappear sometime, the symptoms were identical to crohns or colitis. The infections during flares will also look like colitis or crohns with a colonoscopy and they can't tell them apart unless the biopsy shows signs of the bacteria.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for sharing.
Did you have biopsies during the endoscopy and if so, do you know what they showed?
Where in your gi tract was inflammation identified by endoscopy or MRE/CT?

The inflammation was worst in my large intestine but had minor problems in my lower small intestine. I would have cramping above my belly button a lot so that is my mid and upper small intestine but I think salmonella will agitate the entire GI tract especially with the degree of the infection I have. Yes I did have biopsies ( on Monday ) so the results are not back yet. The endoscopy I don't think showed any issues they did take a biopsy of my stomach though. I will talk to my GI about it when I get the test results. They took more than one biopsies from my large intestine and some from my small intestine.

Thanks, I will keep everyone updated. Kind of a little confused now, I know my salmonella infection is really bad. Hopefully I can kick it with these current meds and I won't have to go back for any other treatments. Afterwards we will see how I do and hopefully I don't have anymore flare ups. Now I really need to change my screen name. Probably to Jeffsorta sick?

I got salmonella this past April after a raw chicken incident (long story) and was never treated. After about 10 days or so I started to feel a little better but ever since then, I would have occasional nausea (no vomiting) which I did not have before. Then I was exposed to the stomach bug mid-November and ever since then have Crohn's symptoms (constipation type not diarrhea and many other symptoms). Colonoscopy three days ago showed erosions in the terminal ileum; biopsies not back yet. Dr. said right after surgery that it was Crohn's. I have always believed it was something to do with the salmonella. I did stool samples that were normal but don't know if they tested specifically for salmonella. I am ready to take some ciproflaxin I have hanging out in my closet for traveling to see if I can get rid of this. Bad idea? The doctors I have mentioned my theory to just brush it off saying it can't be bc I don't have current diarrhea. What specific tests do I need to request? By an infectious disease doctor?

Hi Smallfry. Did you ever pursue this? I had three stool samples come back as false negatives for salmonella. It wasn't until I was on cipro and they tested my stool did they not only find dead salmonella cells, they found TONS of it. Yet it did not show up in my previous stool samples. It wasn't until I was given meds and they checked for dead cells. I was told mine was just Crohns or colitis causing the severe salmonella infection. Honestly the doctors I have dealt with sound just like yours. If I was left untreated with the salmonella infection I had, I am certain I would have died. When I was admitted to the hospital I wasn't peeing because my intestines were absorbing hardly any fluids and was bleeding really bad and had diarrhea 10 - 15 times a day. Even after being diagnosed and told them I "told you so" they said I didn't have salmonella the whole time even though my symptoms completely vanished once I took cipro. All evidence points to my problems being salmonella. If you even read about it they talk about how it can mess up your gi tract for a long time or life.

I got sick last fall, for months kept getting worse, stool sample - negative. Convinced my doctor to prescribe me cipro..... guess what!?!?! Got better within a week. I wonder why? lol.