• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please respond

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's since I was 15 and now 23( i guess you can do the math) but anyways I heard that a lot of people have blood clots associated with Crohns disease. Well, i have had Crohn's since I was younger and I have NEVER heard anything about this. I'm scared. I also suffer from Generalized Anxiety and that stems back from a near death experience with this disease so everything bothers me to death.

Am I hearing and reading right? or am I over reacting? I called the Dr's office today to ask him about it. and of course "he is out of the office, but she would email him and get back with me."

Please anyone. any response is appreciated (even if bad) :/

I have heard that they are associated with a flare of Crohn's, because the blood gets more 'sticky' (ESR or sed rate). And also because of things associated with the disease eg dehydration, reduced physical activity, surgery etc. If you have several risk factors then you need to be aware of the symptoms (for example, I take a contraceptive pill and used to smoke, so when I was in hospital and was inactive, the doctors recommended injections to prevent clots). If you're in remission then I believe there's no increased risk.

Thanks Rebecca & kossy. I just heard this yesterday while doing a clinical in the ER and it set my anxiety off bad. I had never heard anything in my whole time throughout nursing school until yesterday and it scared me that noone had told me about it ( my doctors, nurses, etc)

I almost feel like I should stay away from the internet and just live my life and continue what I have been doing.

I have heard that they are associated with a flare of Crohn's, because the blood gets more 'sticky' (ESR or sed rate). And also because of things associated with the disease eg dehydration, reduced physical activity, surgery etc. If you have several risk factors then you need to be aware of the symptoms (for example, I take a contraceptive pill and used to smoke, so when I was in hospital and was inactive, the doctors recommended injections to prevent clots). If you're in remission then I believe there's no increased risk.
Is that why since being on 6mp my blood has become slightly lighter in color and not as oozy, flows faster and is more liquidy..? I thought it was because the 6mp was killing off my platelets and whatnot

Its possible that there is a higher risk because of complications like dehydration, being in bed for long periods, etc.

I dont want to scare you, but I have had two blood clots before. The first one was due to a PICC line. That occasionally happens because its something just sitting in your vein.

The second one happened in my thigh. It was around the time I had fevers and dehydration every night and I spent most of my day in bed. One day it just hurt in my groin area and I got an ultrasound and they found it. The usual course of treatment is to take coumadin for a few months.

If you are fairly active and dont spend too much time staying still, theres less of a risk factor. Also, certain supplements, like fish oil/krill oil can thin your blood a bit a reduce the chance of blood clots.

I really wouldnt worry about them especially if you walk around during the day. Right now im completely bedbound and I take coumadin partly as a preventative measure. I would focus your attention mostly on the crohns itself rather then a rare event like a blood clot because the thing most likely to cause you trouble is the crohns. Its when you let the crohns get out of control that the complications start piling up as a result of it.

I was told the same things last time I was in the hospital. They had to give me a bloodthinner simply because I had crohns. When they found out I was on the birth control shot, and I smoke, they pretty much forced it on me. A nurse told me that crohns patients have "sticky" blood. I'm not quite sure why, but that's what she told me. I'm also very paranoid about getting bloodclots, and I often get pains in my legs that cause me to panic and call my doctor. From what I've heard, bloodclots are pretty painful, and depending on where they are, you will have other symptoms as well. Better safe than sorry I guess. If you are worried about it I'm sure there are some preventative measures that you could take. Maybe your doctor can prescribe you a bloodthinner or give you some tips on keeping clots away. My friend's mom used to worry about me alot, because I drank pickle juice all the time and she said it will thin your blood. Not sure if that's true, but there's probably some foods or drinks that thin your blood.

Inflammation makes you more susceptible to vte (venous thromboembolism, aka blood clots) and so does immobilitiy. If you're up and about and healthy the risk isn't massive, ie having crohns doesnt mean you're going to get a clot. Relax. Worrying about something that might or might not happen isn't going to help you're health. Keep mobile, keep active, drink plenty and relax. And if you're worried you're showing signs of a clot see your doctor.

Have you had counselling / other support for your anxiety? Might be worth seeing your GP for some extra support; you don't have to live in fear!

Hope you feel well today!

And if you're worried about anything, talk to your doctor, it's what she/he is there for!

Lulu
xxx

thanks to everyone who responded. Lulu, I do see a therapist maybe not as regularly as i should because right now Nursing School is draining me of all my funds, but as soon as I get a job and have insurance I'll seek proper treatment. Also, I try to stay very active and if I can't I atleast get up and stretch and walk a bit. I know the risks, factors, the treatments, prevention... blah blah blah just because when my anxiety attacks I read into EVERYTHING possible and I"ve learned about it in school.

I called the Doctor yesterday and well I still haven't heard anything. Is that a sign? not to worry or maybe he thinks i'm stupid? :/

lol.. i dont know about you but im lucky if i get a call back from the doctors office, and if i do, it almost certainly wont be my doctor, itll be the assistant or some random person. this has been the case with just about every doctor ive had.

just don't understand that!! I mean I understand the not talking to the doctor personally unless you call them on the emergency gotta talk to a doctor right then after hours, but not returning calls makes no sense to me. I pay that man gooooooood money!

oh well! lol