• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pls explain how a stricture surgey went

Hi

Can someone explain how a stricture surgey goes?
Do they do a laparoscopy?
how do u eat after the surgery? can u drink fluid for first 3 days and then go on low residue diet? Or is there a feeding tube inside ur belly right in ur intestine?
do u have a tube down the urinary tract too?
how many days do u stay?

How they do a resection is based on your condition. It can be done with laparoscopy and others that aren't so fortunate have to have open surgery, like myself. They'll keep you on a clear liquid diet until you can pass gas after surgery, once you pass they let you have a liquid diet, once you have a bowel movement they will let you start a surgical soft diet. I did not have to have a tube to my belly. I did have a foley after surgery. How long you're in the hospital depends on how well you come around. I was in the hospital 5 days.

Good luck to you!

Laparascopic for me.

If I remember correctly I was sipping water and had a couple of cups of tea the first 2 days. But I was sick a couple of times which wasn't so good.

On the third day I managed to pass some gas and they let me have a tuna sandwich, which took me about an hour to eat. But soon after I got through it I felt a whole lot better. The 4th day I managed to eat more or less normally and have a (loose) BM and they let me go home.

No feeding tube. I had the pain drip in for the first 24 hours, and at various other points I was attached to drips. And yes I woke up with a catheter; glad I was unconscious when they put it in. They removed it the second morning after surgery which was a great moment: Freedom! It meant I could get up and have a shower and walk a bit.

Hope it goes well for you.