• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Poo and other drugs

Hi everyone
My name’s Pete. I’m 24 years old. I’ve been living with Crohn’s disease since I was 18. In the early days of diagnosis my day to day life remained fairly normal with only the occasional, obvious inconvenience. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for the last 3 years. No change in dosage or variation in meds seems to create a significant change on my symptoms. You name it I’ve tried it.
To make matters worse, 3 years ago I began studying to become a surveyor. I always wanted to work outdoors and I was enjoying it heaps but as I’m sure you could imagine being outdoors with Crohn’s has its challenges (some funny stories though). Working became too hard almost 2 years ago. Gone are the days of returning home with only one sock. Its starting to dawn on me that I’m in need of a new career path. At the moment I’m finding it hard to gain the motivation to finish studying only to find I’m unable to work in my chosen field.
I’ve been mooching off the government and also help from my parents which I’m very grateful for but I hate asking them for money. I’m living with my girlfriend of 5 years who has been by my side at all times including a number of stays in hospital but I’m struggling to live in a home I feel I can’t contribute towards.
I would love to know what kind of work is available for people battling Crohn’s.
Cheers..

Hi Pete,

Your story reminds me of me in that I'm mooching off the gov and getting help from my dad, I hate that at my age that I'm in this situation. I couldn't work because of 2 surgeries I had and now I've been diagnosed with Crohns and osteoarthritis it makes it even trickier to consider working again, which I would really love to do. I have also wondered what sort of work I could do so look forward to hearing what others say.

I'm really sorry that this disease is affecting your chosen career pathway :(, it sucks!! It's bad enough to have to live with Crohns but it's so hard to accept the extent to which it interferes with your life. I truly hope you get to continue your studies and are able to work in your chosen field. With regards to not contributing to your shared home with you girlfriend.....I would imagine that as you have been together for 5 years she understands the situation, I also would think that you contribute to the home in other ways.................. housework etc that your girlfriend would probably appreciate? I do understand how you feel as I too feel the same. Our loved ones do know that we are not in the situation because we want to be and that if we could change things we would.

What is happening with your medical care? Do you have any appointments or tests coming up? What medication are you on now? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just wondering how you manage your illness.

Thank you for sharing your story. Please keep in touch and welcome to the forum, best wishes and lots of hugs. :ghug::ghug:

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Pete!

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. :( That sounds incredibly stressful.

Like lizbeth, I'm wondering where you are with treatment right now. Are you currently taking anything? Does your doctor have any plans or suggestions? Have you tried or considered altering your diet to help? You might want to check out the Diet, Fitness, and Supplements section of the forum, found here. Some forum members have had success controlling their Crohn's with diet.

I hope things get better for you! :hug:

Hi guys.
thanks for the kind words. my meds in the past have included prednisone, imuran, pentasa, masalizine, himura and 5asa. at the moment i'm taking the pred, pentasa, coliform rectal foam and a 8 weekly infliximab infusion. of everything i've tried i find the infliximab the most effective however i only get about 3 good weeks out of it.
My Dr has scheduled a endoscopy in 2 weeks which will bring my total to 5.
As far as diet goes i eat fairly healthy avoiding foods high in fiber. i havent been able to put my finger on any triggers.

Hi Pete,

Seems like you've tried nearly everything out there! So 2 weeks to endoscopy....hmmm that's something to look forward to.......not! lol. What are your symptoms like right now? It seems so hard for many people to find the right treatment though I hope yours isn't too far away.

I was wondering, is there anyone at uni that you could maybe talk to about your problem, say like student support? Maybe they could come up with some sort of solution? There might be a way of pausing your studies until you get better health and then re-starting at a later date. I don't know if that's useful or not?

What sort of things do you eat at the minute? I don't mean to be nosy :)...... well maybe I do :) I have noticed that I can't eat lamb, pork or beef and the usual culprits spicy, high-fiber etc and I so miss nuts :( What I wouldn't give for a home-made curry or a Chinese, oh well I can dream :) I kept waiting for a big reaction to a trigger food, sort of watching for a sign and it was really only when I stopped looking that I noticed what doesn't work for me. I really do hope you can get something sorted, will be thinking about you, take care. :ghug: